HP DL180 G6 USB not working when added a Dell H310

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cdavin

Mar 5, 2016
So I picked up a Dell H310 on eBay to use as a passthrough HBA on an HP server. I flashed the card to IT mode with an R710 (because it kept hanging on the HP), and now the HP will boot with the card but USB won't work. This is a problem since I run ESXi off of a USB stick.

I know the card works because I tested it on my R710 (it's also running ESXi). Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Two things come quickly to mind, should be simple to test:
  1. Boot order - disable H310 BIOS, or change BIOS/EFI boot order
  2. You're out of ROM space (if you have one or two cards, that's much less likely) - test by removing a different PCIe card or three. Just to see. I think this is unlikely since it otherwise boots.

cdavin

Mar 5, 2016
Thanks all for the reply, and sorry for the late response.

I tried took a look at this again last night and realized that USB is just not working period. Even if I remove the card. That would explain not booting from my USB based ESXi install. This all started happening after I installed the card for the first time so maybe I jostled something in the case when adding/removing it so many times.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
I have a DL180 G6 and I want to get a H310 to flash it in IT mode, can this be done if the pins are covered ?

Thank you

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Every time I get a dell h310 and throw it in to test and forget to cover the pins, it prevents my whole system from booting
just simple electrical tape on 2 pins, right? I have been trying to get this trick to work for 2 years.
I have 2 of the H310 and I can not get them to work in any of my consumer Intel based boards.
Both cards work fine in my AMD based consumer boards. I suspect they will work on any server board.

... but I can't get that tape trick to work. I get farther sometimes but not usable.

I should look up those pins and see what the intended use was.
I left bus interface design around the time of PCI. Ended up contracting out the PCI bus and moved to other areas.
... should not be too hard to see what they do. SMBus or something like that.

If not, I can ask the engineers that design/support the PCI bus.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@cdavin @SIlviu did any of you guys figure out how to get the H310 to work in HP DL180 G6?

I'm working with someone who's having this exact issue. The H310 w/ LSI IT mode firmware is causing all sorts of problems and the B5 B6 pins are blocked already. Just wondering if this is just one of those HP compatibility issues or if there is some way to make it work?