HP buys Eucalyptus!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Did anyone see this news?

I think it is awesome and am going to try Euca this weekend.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is going to be big. The other big note is this is the second major transaction HP has closed in the last few weeks after having shut down post-autonomy.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I use Eucalyptus, so I'm a bit worried about the purchase. Worst case, Eucalyptus languishes now that its CEO is focused on the HP cloud, which definitely won't be using Eucalyptus. Best case, HP put some resources behind the product and positions it as their cloud software option for mid-sized organizations who aren't about to dive into OpenStack.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@dba I am interested to see how it turns out. I was thinking of trying Eucalyptus in the datacenter to see how it goes prior to this announcement. The big question is Hyper-V long term or something different.

BTW - how do you like your Sacramento facility? I am thinking I want something local again.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
@dba I am interested to see how it turns out. I was thinking of trying Eucalyptus in the datacenter to see how it goes prior to this announcement. The big question is Hyper-V long term or something different.

BTW - how do you like your Sacramento facility? I am thinking I want something local again.
The place is quite homespun for a colo facility, but I do like that I can drive there. It's a deal for my particular use case - low cost for plenty of power, and while I don't think that the bandwidth is high quality, I don't need fancy bandwidth for a CPU processing farm. Now if I had a web app, I wouldn't be there.

As for Eucalyptus versus Hyper-V? I use Eucalyptus for the processing farm and Hyper-V for development VMs. I like the ability to over-subscribe on Hyper-V, which you lose with Eucalyptus.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The place is quite homespun for a colo facility, but I do like that I can drive there. It's a deal for my particular use case - low cost for plenty of power, and while I don't think that the bandwidth is high quality, I don't need fancy bandwidth for a CPU processing farm. Now if I had a web app, I wouldn't be there.
Yea that is what I am contemplating. I was thinking of checking out Layer42 in Mountain View. It is about 3 blocks from Google, 6 from Intuit and 10 from Symantec (not to mention 100's of startups) I cannot imagine it is cheap.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
I was just there to pick up my C6100 for retrofitting on Saturday morning. I have a DCS C6100 so I had to dremel the cages in the back to get the QDR cards in.

Testing everything this week to make sure it's good and if all pans out driving back on Sunday this weekend to re-rack.

Infiniband is so so awesome....should've done it sooner!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was just there to pick up my C6100 for retrofitting on Saturday morning. I have a DCS C6100 so I had to dremel the cages in the back to get the QDR cards in.

Testing everything this week to make sure it's good and if all pans out driving back on Sunday this weekend to re-rack.

Infiniband is so so awesome....should've done it sooner!
I might need you guys to get me details again soon on this place in Sacramento. Close is good.