HP Brand Mellanox CX455 IB/Ethernet 100G Single Port QSFP28 and Switch compatibility

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I searched for some of Mellanox's manuals and the unaffected switches' console cables like the SN2100 and SX60xx have the exact pinouts as Cisco's cable, even though some models have a combo I2C/Console RJ45 port. I2C signals are on pins 1 (RTS/I2C_SDA) and 6 (RXD/I2C_SCL). I have an SX6012 that has a dedicated I2C port in the form of a round ~3.5 mm jack in the rear.

Affected switches from the tech note also have I2C and console pinouts combined. I2C signals are on the same pins that are meant to carry DTR (I2C_SCL)/DSR (I2C_SDA). So as long as you don't use DTR/DSR flow control you should be fine. Their (CS7500, SB7700) manual only has these connections for their console cable.
RJ45PinDB9Pin
TXD3RXD2
RXD6TXD3
GND4, 5GND5

Getting back to devices not on the tech note like the SN2100/SX60xx, it would probably be a good idea to not enable flow control (CTS/RTS) there as well.

dadscorp

Oct 17, 2020
Malaysia
Thanks for the above info Rand.. appreciate how you are trying to help me out.

This is a old switch, and the seller went offline after a few days and is not replying and my period of returns is out too so a bad buy i guess.
Happens at times when you order of ebay.

but since there is no reply on the console port and no link what so ever i am just almost giving up on this.

Getting a EDGE-CORE 7512-32X 100GBE - hopefully it should work with the cards i have in VMWare. that's about all I need -- Throughput . I dont need any of the advanced management functions of the switch .:)
Got the Edge-Core 7512-32X 100GBE but I cant seem to get it to work.. if i connect the console cable I get a kinds of garbled output. I am using a std cicso rj45 console cable to a serial2usb convertor and then to t he pc. but i get bad output. any ideas... - no link on the switch. - so i guess I need to recover it and get it to install ONIE / SONIC on it. but before i get that far any body has the pinouts for this swtich. ?

dadscorp

Oct 17, 2020
Malaysia
Finally some news. Turned out to be a cable issue. Got the edgecore 7512 32x serial console working and managed to install ONL open network linux on it and it boots too. But no link on the card or the switch
So I guess I need to configure it or bring up the ports or something of the sort. Anyone have any ideas on this. Or I try loading something else on it

dadscorp

Oct 17, 2020
Malaysia
I have hit a deadend with the Edgecore 7512-32X. Open Network Linux installs on ONIE and then we cannot go any further as it needs Ofdpa package to proceed and ofdpa support for 7512-32x is stopped.

Tried OpenSwitch as its support to be supported but then towards the end you get 404 errors and forbidden errors so we hit a roadblock here too. pica8 is paid.

any ideas or we junk this switch

dadscorp

Oct 17, 2020
Malaysia
Ok, The Edgecore is a bad buy, Stay away from it. its dead cheap but not supported anymore, so its a waste of money again as I could not get it working... anybody having any experience with getting Edgecore 7512X working. ONL is not supporting it any more -- any info on Sonic ?

iGene

Jun 15, 2014
Taiwan
Ok, The Edgecore is a bad buy, Stay away from it. its dead cheap but not supported anymore, so its a waste of money again as I could not get it working... anybody having any experience with getting Edgecore 7512X working. ONL is not supporting it any more -- any info on Sonic ?
If you checked the datasheet you can find out it's using a Cavium switching chip, so ofdpa will not work as it's for broadcom chips.
For SONiC, it's listed in the supported list but I didn't see anyone getting it work yet. There are some issues in SONiC repo about compiling it for Cavium chips but they are not solved yet.

I have a couple friends working at Edgecore and they told me to stay away from second hand Edgecore switches unless you are sure they have a working OS on it. I will suggest it's better to spend more money getting Arista or Mellanox switches.