HP Blade servers/blade Servers questions for a Noob

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AdmiralBreaker

Jan 5, 2018
At my employer we specialize in "asset recovery and liquidation" and we are also a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher. In December we cleaned out a local business and we got a single HP Proliant bl460c and a ton of other server gear. My question is so the HP Proliant BL460C is an Intel Platform, and I know that there are AMD verisons of the blade. Can you have both AMD and Intel platforms running in the same blade chassis unit? Also is there a way to power one blade unit without the main chassis where the blade resides? I hope I am making sense. We

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
the second answer should have come with an asterisk (not without significant tinkering - there's a lot of external connections to break out)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yes no issues to run the different generations and intel and AMD blades in the same chassis, also the half height and full height together as well. There is 2 chassis options being the c7000 (16 half height blades like bl460c) and the smaller c3000 (8 half height blades)

Seems very hard to run a blade server outside the chassis, not just because of power but cooling as well.