HP/Aruba AP-315 for $240 in CDW Outlet

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Do these need additional licenses, controller etc?
I'm looking for couple of cheaper APs to provide better WiFi coverage around the home.

manfri

Nov 19, 2015
Yes they require a controller.
IAP model have an integrated peer to peer controller.
look on ebay and you can find real bargain like IAP-135 has 3x3 antenna and dual band (no AC speed) and you can find'em used for 30 bucks (usually without AC adapter because most of installations uses poe switch) that someone try to sell new for 900 dollars...
Compared to cousumer AP... well there is no comparison...

Reactions: Samir

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
Do these need additional licenses, controller etc?
I'm looking for couple of cheaper APs to provide better WiFi coverage around the home.
I have quite a few Aruba AP's both instant and requiring a controller. The controller required version will be quite cheap, as you can find AP-225's with AC 866M speed for example, under 50$ US.

The IAP-version which does not require any licenses or controllers is typically a bit more. I've seen the IAP-225's as low as 130$ US each. I picked up a IAP-315 new last fall for around $200 US.

You just need to know your Aruba to get good deals on much better WiFi...

A few tips.. stay away, far away from the IAP/AP-1xx series. Old and your 20$ Dlink will be better.

If you want really good WiFi indoors, then something like this,

Aruba Networks IAP-325-US Instant IAP 325 Wireless Access Point - New! | eBay

Is what you want.

There are two variants... IAP-xxx-US and IAP-xxx-RW (and IAP-xxx-JP). You cannot mix these together in a cluster, as one is only for US (FCC only certified) and the RW model is for Canada, EU. You *can* use a -US version in Canada, but if you hook it up to Cloud Central it may not continue to work. Best not to hook it up to Cloud Central if you do that.

The IAP-225 is EOS, and support goes for another 5 years. If you want to future proof, stick to a IAP-3xx series. I would personally avoid the 305 series. The 2.4GHz is speed limited.

And yes, you will need a POE+ switch to run these unless you can find the adapters, which is not as easy as it sounds. They *will* work with regular POE, but two 2.4GHz antennas will be shut down.

I spent about 600$ US for 3 IAP's last fall, well worth it, as the WiFi just works, where before with my Ubquiti I would get strange disconnect and speed errors from some IoT devices I have.

HTH

Reactions: Samir