HP 5820-24XG-SFP+ - $225

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kabttu

Dec 11, 2017
They'd had this listing as well I saw, but at the time I made the original post it was $425, while the one I posted was $225.

Confounding because it was the same thing, just with a different logo on the front? That one though does note the lack of PSU. Partially why I figured the one I posted was a pricing error initially. Who the hell sells the (virtually) same thing for two different prices and includes PSUs in the cheaper one but not the more expensive one. Listing fail on their part I guess.
They confirmed that I got it for $100 less than I should have, but it is odd because I made an offer and they accepted. They offered a refund, but I'll just keep it and try to find a power supply for it.

ArcyneTheFirst

Jan 22, 2016
They confirmed that I got it for $100 less than I should have, but it is odd because I made an offer and they accepted. They offered a refund, but I'll just keep it and try to find a power supply for it.
Me too, interaction with the seller and he didn't seem concerned about the misleading information on the eBay site not showing the fact these don't come complete with at least one power supply.

Do folks know the part # we need to look for to purchase and what a good price would be?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

kabttu

Dec 11, 2017
Me too, interaction with the seller and he didn't seem concerned about the misleading information on the eBay site not showing the fact these don't come complete with at least one power supply.

Do folks know the part # we need to look for to purchase and what a good price would be?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Part number is JC087A. Seems to range between 100 to 140 on eBay. I bought one for 120 with free shipping. I'll update the thread once I receive it and can actually power up the switch.

kabttu

Dec 11, 2017
Got my power supply and powered up the switch. Software is a couple releases old, not too bad though.

<HP>display version
HP Comware Platform Software
Comware Software, Version 5.20.105, Release 1809P10-US
Copyright (c) 2010-2015 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
HP 5820X-24XG-SFP+ TAA Switch uptime is 0 week, 0 day, 2 hours, 2 minutes
HP 5820X-24XG-SFP+ TAA Switch with 2 Processors
1024M bytes SDRAM
4M bytes Nor Flash Memory
512M bytes Nand Flash Memory
Config Register points to Nand Flash
Hardware Version is Ver.C
CPLDA Version is 002, CPLDB Version is 003
BootRom Version is 220
[SubSlot 0] 24SFP Plus+4GE Hardware Version is Ver.C

kabttu

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah, I have already thrown in a 2GB stick of DDR2 SODIMM RAM and upgraded to the latest version out there:

<HP>display version
HPE Comware Platform Software
Comware Software, Version 5.20.105, Release 1810P13
Copyright (c) 2010-2017 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP
HPE 5820X-24XG-SFP+ TAA Switch uptime is 0 week, 0 day, 0 hour, 2 minutes
HPE 5820X-24XG-SFP+ TAA Switch with 2 Processors
1792M bytes SDRAM
4M bytes Nor Flash Memory
512M bytes Nand Flash Memory
Config Register points to Nand Flash
Hardware Version is Ver.C
CPLDA Version is 002, CPLDB Version is 004
BootRom Version is 303
[SubSlot 0] 24SFP Plus+4GE Hardware Version is Ver.C

Like you mentioned, it was very easy. I was worried about the BOOTROM as well because it originally had 220 and needed 303 to run the newest version. I found this article:

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

So I just risked it and copied the newest version onto flash, set the boot-loader and rebooted. It upgraded the BootRom during the reboot process and ran through some other stuff and booted into the new version.

Now to get some SFP+ modules and start messing around with it!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Weird...
I got an email that there was a new reply (posted by @eroji ) in this thread, but the last post is from february.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Weird...
I got an email that there was a new reply (posted by @eroji ) in this thread, but the last post is from february.
Sorry I deleted my question since I figured out the answer to a config question.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk