HP 561FLR-T 10Gb - #6 Fan Problems - DL380P/DL385P G8

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
I recently bought a handful of HP 561FLR-T cards off eBay to upgrade to 10Gb home network. I installed the card into my DL380p G8 server into the LOM slot, plugged the machine back in, and I heard a fan come on. I pulled the cover off, and the #6 fan is running constantly, even with the server powered down.

HP servers wise, I have:
1x - DL380P G8
3x - DL385p G8

For reference, here is what the card looks like:

The card is not a standard form factor, so it basically has to go into the LOM slot on the motherboard. If I were to try and put it into a normal PCIe slot, I would need to remove the metal tray, and at that point the ports would sit inside the server case, instead of flush.

The main reason I bought this specific card, is due to it being essentially an Intel X540-T2 card.

Technically, the 561FLR-T is listed in the HP Option Parts for the DL380P G8, but not for the DL385P G8. Even with that said, I tried the card in the DL380P G8 and in the DL385P G8, and they both experience the same issue.

I can fire the server up, and the number 6 fan does slow down to normal, and the cards do indeed function as they should. I can ping them and transfer files.

I tried to update firmware, and had a lot of trouble, even using the HP SPP G8 tool. I tried to update the firmware manually in CentOS 7, and that didn't seem to work either. The NVM said it was successful, but the ROM wouldn't flash. And when I would go back and check the firmware version, nothing had changed.

I went ahead and called HP customer support, and found out that this is actually the intended design. I didn't believe the lady on the phone, so I had her send me the response to an existing case. Below is the result:

Cause
Fan 6 on DL380p is designated as an ALOM fan. This fan will turn on based on Selection/condition of the ALOM.
The 561FLR-T is set to strap this fan ON by design.
This is not an issue simply a design feature. General guidelines:
1G NIC – Is not required to support this feature
10G NIC – 3 possibilities.
1) Control ALOM_AUX fan based on NIC ASIC temp.
2) Strapped ON (Case with 561FLR-T)
3) Strapped OFF or not supported (will only be approved with proper thermal testing) I currently only know of one option in this category as this is not ideal.

Resolution
This is working as per design and is NOT an issue.
Now, in normal circumstances, the server would be powered on, and this wouldn't be an issue. But I honestly use the 3x DL385P G8's as overpowered workstations (I got a good deal on them), for video encoding to H.265. So they spend a great deal of time shut down. I really don't see a reason for ONE fan to be running while the machine is powered down.

The DL380p G8 I use as a FreeNAS and Plex server. I am running 2x LSI9211-8i cards flashed to IT mode, and the fans in this machine naturally run higher than they need to, because the iLO4 cant tell what these cards are in IT mode, so it ramps the fans up to 43% on #5 and #6 (without the 561FLR-T installed).

At this point, having so many fan issues with every card I put in these machines, I am really tempted to sell off all the HP specific parts I have and jump over to SuperMicro. I know all 2U servers can be rather loud, but at least with SuperMicro I could change the fans out to quieter units, and I have seen ways to manually adjust the fans on certain SuperMicro boards with the impitool.

Does anyone have any suggestions?