HP 530FLR SFP+ 10Gb port used as SFP 1Gb on a DL380p G8

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aessu

May 25, 2021
Hello!
I know some of the SFP+ cards can be used as SFP also. Does anyone have any info if this HP card (It has a Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM57810 chipset) also supports SFP?

Im going to run Pfsense/OPNSense (havent decided on which one yet) as a virtual machine on this machine, among other things, and I will have a fiber connection. Running the fiber directly to the NIC and then to my network from one one of the ports on my I350-T4 would simplify things somewhat, as otherwise I would have to setup a VLAN on my switch to practically use one of its two SFP ports and a 1000Base-T port as a media converter. This would also use two of the ports on my I350-T4, though its something I can live with.

I will be keeping my current network card config, and I wont be installing any more NICs, as that would require me to also purchase the secondary PCIe riser and cage. Im using the other 10Gb port to connect my Truenas install to my network with a DAC cable.

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
Can confirm SFP's and SFP to RJ45's work in my 530's. I'm using Cisco-branded SFP's and convertors, so they don't seem to care about vendor either.

Reactions: aessu

aessu

May 25, 2021
Can confirm SFP's and SFP to RJ45's work in my 530's. I'm using Cisco-branded SFP's and convertors, so they don't seem to care about vendor either.
Thanks! This simplifies things a lot for me. I was already going to buy a Cisco transceiver, as my switch is a Cisco, and they do care about vendor (of course you can enable support for non-cisco transceivers from CLI, but I'd rather not do that, if I dont have to).