UK HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage, Dual 12gb/s Dual-port I/o Module, Dual PSU - £59.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Pretty sure I've read the D3600 /D3700 can take generic disks and these look the same / are essentially a dumb disk enclosure as far as I can see. For the price I'm willing to take a punt but assuming you can wait I can let you know when I have one. I wouldn't put it past HPE to pull a compatibility fast one though

Reactions: Samir

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Having.......... paid for a D3700 and potentially an Eternus not even 8 hours ago, again I wonder what I'm doing here.

Anyhow, having considered the StoreServ 20000 prior to pulling the trigger on the D3700, 2.5" trays are not the same length as the regular 3PAR trays. The trays you want are the 5697-3149 / 5697-3141 / C3598 PN# ones.

Only the StoreServ 3.5" bays are compatible with the cheap Apollo caddies.

The costs of the StoreServ 20000 2.5" trays are really steep in comparison to the D3700.

Although after comparing costs, I would have still saved several hundreds going with the StoreServ. But I guess I'm hoping that the "SmartCarrier" caddies prove useful "visually" more useful/attractive with it's status indicator.

But from a practical standpoint, the D3700 trays are much more available given they are used on the G8/9/10s well.

The StoreServ controllers seem to be slightly newer then the D37xx as well, so that's a plus point perhaps.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Having.......... paid for a D3700 and potentially an Eternus not even 8 hours ago, again I wonder what I'm doing here.
It's The STH Effect™ (not actually trademarked, but looks cooler this way, lol) :) Making you want to buy what you don't need! :D

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
It's The STH Effect™ (not actually trademarked, but looks cooler this way, lol) :) Making you want to buy what you don't need! :D
No kidding. I'm up 2 DAS units (potentially 3) in the haphazard span of 14 hours or so. 2 SAS3, 1 JBOF NVMe (although I have my doubts on that Celestica....)

• Haha

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
DAS Disk Shelf, vs Converted Server

Hello

I do not have any experience at all with Disk Arrays, perhaps you can offer some guidance.

I too am intrigued by the low cost of DAS Shelves that are offered by many vendors and I am very aware of the common practice of almost giving the Disk Array Chassis away to entice/trap buyers into the need for very expensive disk trays.

I do wonder what is the real advantage of a DAS shelf over a converted server. I know that you get a point designed appliance, but that locks into a single use application with no real flexibility/chance of re-purposing.

Do these devices have any real advantages over a re-purposed server, where it is possible to upgrade/update with various backplanes, fans, controller cards etc.

If a 12G - 25 Bay (fully populated) Disk Shelf was available for the same price as a 12G - 25 Bay (fully populated) Server, I would probably choose the server for its flexibility of use and upgrade, particularly to a NVME equipped backplane.

Any information or guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

RedX1

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
DAS Disk Shelf, vs Converted Server

Hello

I do not have any experience at all with Disk Arrays, perhaps you can offer some guidance.

I too am intrigued by the low cost of DAS Shelves that are offered by many vendors and I am very aware of the common practice of almost giving the Disk Array Chassis away to entice/trap buyers into the need for very expensive disk trays.

I do wonder what is the real advantage of a DAS shelf over a converted server. I know that you get a point designed appliance, but that locks into a single use application with no real flexibility/chance of re-purposing.

Do these devices have any real advantages over a re-purposed server, where it is possible to upgrade/update with various backplanes, fans, controller cards etc.

If a 12G - 25 Bay (fully populated) Disk Shelf was available for the same price as a 12G - 25 Bay (fully populated) Server, I would probably choose the server for its flexibility of use and upgrade, particularly to a NVME equipped backplane.

Any information or guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

RedX1
It depends on your use case. Mine is reliability, so a DAS gives me the ability to have two separate head nodes connected to two separate controllers, hence providing true multipath. If anything along one of the paths fails, be it one of the ports on the SAS drives/DAS controllers/cables/head nodes there is a second redundant path that data can still be accessed on.

As for repurposing, depending on your needs, at this point of time for us it's going to be SAS3 and if we're lucky a very long-term POC with a NVMe JBOF for our next upgrade 3-4 years down the road.

So the need for sudden upgrades is slim to none. The head nodes can be switched out, those are commodity servers at the end of the day. Nothing else really needs to be "repurposed" on a regular basis.

I've been running a single all-in-one FreeNAS server for a good 5 years now, and while it's been rock solid, over the years the tolerance for downtime has dramatically reduced to the point where we could once get away with 99.9% uptime to now requiring 99.95% to 99.99%. So we have been gradually looking at the potential weak points along the path and upgrading them one at a time.

Perhaps not so crucial for a homelab, so ultimately it depends on your usecase.

Last edited:

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you are correct, it is all about use-case.

I am somewhat searching to get a feel for how to best really use a disk array to expand my storage in a constantly changing environment.

For my use cases, I will probably focus on the converted server type devices that offer the most flexibility. It should be possible to build in the resilience necessary using dual controllers, dual expanders, etc.

As in everything else, it really is horses for courses.

Thanks for your insight.

RedX1

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Pretty sure I've read the D3600 /D3700 can take generic disks and these look the same / are essentially a dumb disk enclosure as far as I can see. For the price I'm willing to take a punt but assuming you can wait I can let you know when I have one. I wouldn't put it past HPE to pull a compatibility fast one though
So have you been able to check if you need 3par drives or not?

I don't know yet. I'll update if anything materializes, don't want to get everybody excited over nothing concrete yet.
Any news on the promised NVME JBoF ?;)