UK HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage, Dual 12gb/s Dual-port I/o Module, Dual PSU - £59.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Can we expect a lot of write ups then?;)

Kidding aside, I know that feeling, take your time.
Ok got around to a very quick test :)

Summary is seems to work fine. Connected up to an old lsi2208 card with 4 different SSD makes - intel / seagate / hp SAS and a toshiba sata. All were visible in Windows 10 and I did a quick test write to one of them which obviously worked. Only connected to one controller. Didn't have the time to do more and to be honest I bought this on the off chance I might need something later rather than needing it now so probably sits somewhere looking pretty for a while - maybe forever!

Reactions: Samir and Rand__

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
You didn't per chance measure the power draw, did you?
Nope - suppose I can lug it back over tomorrow again! it isnt quiet, the fans are quite loud, not sure if there is a way to tame it. I'll have a look at one of the trays

Reactions: Samir

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
perfect, thanks
55-60 Watts with no drives - not as good as I thought it would be. I might try with just one controller later. The fans are probably the culprit, its quite loud. There is a USB port but not sure if you can do anything with it, Windows natively didnt have the device drivers. Might need the same USB package as per the SVC3200 mgr port. Can't see anything on the controllers that you can meddle with.

ravingdave22

Jul 25, 2022
Having.......... paid for a D3700 and potentially an Eternus not even 8 hours ago, again I wonder what I'm doing here.

Anyhow, having considered the StoreServ 20000 prior to pulling the trigger on the D3700, 2.5" trays are not the same length as the regular 3PAR trays. The trays you want are the 5697-3149 / 5697-3141 / C3598 PN# ones.

Only the StoreServ 3.5" bays are compatible with the cheap Apollo caddies.

The costs of the StoreServ 20000 2.5" trays are really steep in comparison to the D3700.

Although after comparing costs, I would have still saved several hundreds going with the StoreServ. But I guess I'm hoping that the "SmartCarrier" caddies prove useful "visually" more useful/attractive with it's status indicator.

But from a practical standpoint, the D3700 trays are much more available given they are used on the G8/9/10s well.

The StoreServ controllers seem to be slightly newer then the D37xx as well, so that's a plus point perhaps.
i have made a 3d printable caddy for this disk shelf here the link if any one want a cheap way of getting caddies HPE 3PAR STORESERV 20000 CADDY by RAVINGDAVE22 - Thingiverse

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yeah I know, sorry. I've a backlog of things to do wrt my homelab and every time I try to do something it turns from what seems something simple into an eight part mini series.
Story of every project I have yet to do...lol...

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
These guys are a agreat vendor. I've spend 10's of thousands on them for individual projects aand have never been let down. They have inventory outside of ebay, but they don't advertise it. Shoot them a message, and they'll try to help. Know the owner as well. He's a legend.

Unre4L

Jul 27, 2022
Thanks for this thread @ecosse. I put in a £30 offer and the seller accepted. I think there is only one left now.

I don't really have a homelab yet but I worked for HPE for years, specifically with 3PAR systems. This will be a nice little souvenir to have in any case and I can practice my skills and decorate the garage a bit :D. Never thought I would be buying the 20k series, even if it is just a disk enclosure.

Reactions: ecosse and Samir

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I wish I had bought another now - I want to mess about with the fans to see if I can reduce the power draw. Maybe someone more intelligent than me can have a go since I'm bound to screw it up if I do it off piste

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
I wish I had bought another now - I want to mess about with the fans to see if I can reduce the power draw. Maybe someone more intelligent than me can have a go since I'm bound to screw it up if I do it off piste
you can always change the fans for more silent ones.... but just don't go with noctua fans or similar, they're not powerful enough