HP 3Par StoreServ 20000 12-Bay LFF 12Gbps Enclosure - $195

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
HP E7Y23A 3PAR STORESERV 20000 12GB LFF - E7Y21A | eBay

E7Y23A HP 3Par 3PAR 20000 12Gb SAS 12-disk 2U LFF Enclosure E7Y21A | eBay

I picked-up one of these and they're basically D3600 enclosures, which usually go for over $1k. There *are* a couple differences though.

1) They seem to be more "up to date" (?) than the D3600 - they use a MicroUSB console connection vs a USB-B. You can console into them and get a CLI - they identify as a "D3650".

2) The fan modules are different. On the D3600 there is a separate fan controller board which then plugs into the backplane. On these, there is no fan controller board and it goes straight into the backplane via cable.

3) Unlike the D3600 these do NOT require or accept the HP Smart Carriers. They use the carriers for the lower-end servers or Apollo servers.

4) I've run both these and the D3600 side-by-side and the fan noise is the same. They're not screamers, but they aren't something you'd want in an otherwise quiet space. I would say they're similar to a DL380 G8 at 35-40% fan.

5) I tried flashing the D3600 firmware and it doesn't see it as a valid device to be updated. It seems that the firmware for these is integrated into the 3Par OS updates.

I've gone through the firmware bins for the D3600 and I can find a lot of strings referencing "thermal profiles" and "fan-nvram", etc. It would be great if someone could go through the firmware and figure out how to slow down the fans. There is a CLI which is accessible and are probably a lot of hidden commands. There is also a "cli-sdk" which was hidden after the latest update, but the command still works. It lets you write directly to the various busses.

Thanks!!
Riley

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I can say that they are not locked to Gen10 servers. I’m using mine with a DL360 gen9.

I don’t believe they’re locked, but I can try my Dell server.

Riley

Reactions: Samir

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Great find! Was just thinking if I should go SAS3 or reuse that ancient NetApp FAS disk shelf...

Could you let us know what were the box dimensions were? And the approximate weight?

Thanks!

HP E7Y23A 3PAR STORESERV 20000 12GB LFF - E7Y21A | eBay

E7Y23A HP 3Par 3PAR 20000 12Gb SAS 12-disk 2U LFF Enclosure E7Y21A | eBay

I picked-up one of these and they're basically D3600 enclosures, which usually go for over $1k. There *are* a couple differences though.

1) They seem to be more "up to date" (?) than the D3600 - they use a MicroUSB console connection vs a USB-B. You can console into them and get a CLI - they identify as a "D3650".

2) The fan modules are different. On the D3600 there is a separate fan controller board which then plugs into the backplane. On these, there is no fan controller board and it goes straight into the backplane via cable.

3) Unlike the D3600 these do NOT require or accept the HP Smart Carriers. They use the carriers for the lower-end servers or Apollo servers.

4) I've run both these and the D3600 side-by-side and the fan noise is the same. They're not screamers, but they aren't something you'd want in an otherwise quiet space. I would say they're similar to a DL380 G8 at 35-40% fan.

5) I tried flashing the D3600 firmware and it doesn't see it as a valid device to be updated. It seems that the firmware for these is integrated into the 3Par OS updates.

I've gone through the firmware bins for the D3600 and I can find a lot of strings referencing "thermal profiles" and "fan-nvram", etc. It would be great if someone could go through the firmware and figure out how to slow down the fans. There is a CLI which is accessible and are probably a lot of hidden commands. There is also a "cli-sdk" which was hidden after the latest update, but the command still works. It lets you write directly to the various busses.

Thanks!!
Riley

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I am more than happy to take that NetApp shelves. They are super quiet, works with everything and do not have beeps and power efficient if you plan to use all 24 disks. I have 2 sas3 disk shelves but there is no benefit of them with spindles and sas3 hbas are still quiet pricey

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Agreed - but i'm trying to use SAS3 SSDs here. :D my FreeNAS only runs on a SAS2 backplane and I can't justify replacing it yet, so I figured to put the spinning rust there, and the SSDs on the external shelf.

OT, but my NetApps are FAS2240?s with the controllers replaced with IOM6s. We couldn't get NetApp to approve the license transfer as they were long out of support coverage, so the OnTAP controllers are pretty much paperweights - didn't help since I managed to split-brain them!

Reactions: Bert and Samir

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Hi,
price is good but what about supported disks?
Nobody mention that 3Par chassis/enclosure work with all SAS3 disks (spinning or SSD), my past experience with 3PAR 3.5" FC only certian FW allow to work in chassis)

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I put in a couple regular 4TB SAS and it worked fine. Actually, it was a HGST/WD HC310.

I don’t think the vendor locks are done on the shelves themselves but instead on the head controller. As far as I can tell these are just “dumb” shelves.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Mine did not come with anything but the shelf and a couple power cords.

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
Oh, yes.. That is correct. I received the shelf, dual PSUs, fans, and two IO modules.

I did not receive rails, disk trays, or a front bezel.

Riley
Got an email back from the seller, they confirmed the same thing. Hmmmm. I'm not sure I want to deal with not having any trays.

bigfro

Apr 28, 2020
What’s a good/supported hba that would work with these in a system running esxi 7.x and TrueNAS utilizing pci pass through?

Reactions: ladd

omegadraconis

Oct 23, 2017
I'm considering one of these, but I was wondering about the tray's they use? Anyone have a part number? I have 12 smart trays from a dl380p, was hoping they might be reusable here.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I'm considering one of these, but I was wondering about the tray's they use? Anyone have a part number? I have 12 smart trays from a dl380p, was hoping they might be reusable here.
The D3600/D3610 (LFF) and D3700/3710 (SFF) use the smart carriers like the G8/9/10 servers.

These units show as D3650 (LFF) and D3750 (SFF) and do not physically accept the smart carriers. They won’t fit (I tried). They use the carriers for the lower end and Apollo servers.

Like these: New For HP Apollo 4200 Gen9 3.5" LFF SAS SATA HDD Tray Caddy 774026 774026-001 | eBay

Riley

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Not meaning to necro this thread, but can anyone with a SFF storserv confirm if there are more cost-effective trays available? While the LFF seems to take more "commodity" trays, the SFF trays (P/N 5697-3141 / 5697-3149) appear to be an elongated design (much like the other 3par SFF shelves) but with a more traditional plain latching mechanism.

The costs of buying the SFF storserv/storvirtual trays pretty much wipe out any savings and end up costing more then a traditional D37x0.

Hoping someone figured out something I haven't. :oops: