HP 2530 LLC broadcast every 60 seconds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
One would usually expect managed switch to be as quiet as if it wasn't there, right?
By default however many switches are spamming network with loads of unnecessary and dangerous data disclosing versions and features of the device.
So my HPE(Aruba) 2530 switch is broadcasting this nasty packet every 60 seconds:

64:e8:81:XX:XX:XX > 09:00:09:00:00:67, 802.3, length 79: LLC, dsap Unknown (0xf8) Individual, ssap Unknown (0xf8) Command, ctrl 0x03: Unnumbered, ui, Flags [Command], length 79

Within which I can see full model name, full firmware version number and even internal hostname of the switch. It was worse at first until I disabled lldp, which was outputting much more info.
However I cannot find any option to disable this particular broadcast. It appears on default vlan only as far as I can tell, but that doesn't mean you can't see it in promisc mode.
Searching manuals for LLC, DSAP, SSAP didn't produce any results.
Any help here?

orki

Oct 4, 2021
This is the HP switch stacking protocol. You can disable it by going into configuration mode and running no stack, and do not forget to call write memory.

Reactions: tinfoil3d

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
holy ... i never knew these cheap boys had stacking lmao. that did the trick thanks man. never eally read the manuals just used tab to learn...