HP 1950 switch with 4 10G ports

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Looking for new switches for work and came across these little guys

HP 1950-24G-2SFP+-2XGT Switch (JG960A)

Its an hp switch with 2 sfp+ ports and 2 10G/1G copper ports. It is one the web smart switches, basic l3 routing and 128 gbps capacity.

This guy on ebay has it for 775
JG960A I Brand New Factory Sealed HP 1950-24G-2SFP+-2XGT Switch
There is a whole thread on here with 10G Switches under the $550 mark, while this seems like a really interesting switch it seems to be kind of up there price wise especially if you look at what the normal going price is (not e-bay) which is in the $1000 range. That would put you in the Cisco SG500X range which would give you 4-10G SFP+ Ports. I just picked up an new Dell X1052p POE Switch which is 52 Ports (only 24 POE / POE+) that is what they call Layer 2 + (which seems to have the same L3 Functionality as most L3 Switches) and 4-10G SFP+ Ports for under $800, they also have a non POE Version that was in the $600 range I believe.

The good news is that there are more and more options coming out, I of course am one of those people that 4 ports is just not enough for my ideal setup but will more than get me started for now.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
It's one of the switches I've been keeping an eye on as well, around ~£700 here in the UK. I like the idea of a procurve better than I like the idea of a netgear (and the netgear S3300 says it wants a JRE for the web GUI although users here say it's not really needed) but I don't like HP(E)'s practice of locking firmware upgrades behind a support contract.

I've been leaning in this direction more than the D-Link because the vast majority of boards I'd want on 10GbE are coming with copper and not SFP+ connectors, so getting a switch with both types of connectors seems like a good move.

But then at £700 I'm entering the territory of "why not just get an 8-port 10GbE switch like the DXS-1510 or XS708E", so I will continue propelling my inertia on to an ever greater stasis for some time yet.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
HP networking is not locking firmware upgrades past support contract. They offer lifetime warranty for these switches. I was RMAing 5y old 1910 switch this year and they shipped new, I just replaced it and sent them back faulty one.

You can get firmwares for free here: My Networking | HPE® Official Site

Also, 1950 switch is not procurve (it runs some linux-based comware, not provision)