HP 1810-8G power input questions.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Picked one of these up from ebay without the power adapter thinking "well, I have a bunch of power connectors and it's 12v, no big deal". Unfortunately it's not a standard 2.1 or 2.5 ID barrel connector like I thought it was. I've confirmed that it does work with POE input, but I'd like the option to power it without POE.

Questions:
Anyone have the specs on the correct connector and verify the polarity?
Can the DC power in and POE be used at the same time for failover?
Does anyone know which is more power efficient?

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Polarity specs is printed on the back of your switch.

I have 1820-8Gs with adapter and here's a link to a genuine Delta part on eBay: Genuine Delta EADP-13BB B AC Adapter 12V 1.085A 5184-5863 Power Supply 13W OEM | eBay. There are fake items with the same part number but their ratings are insufficient and plug is either purposely not shown or wrong. HP uses barrel with pin in the middle. One website identifies it as a 5.0/3.5mm with pin plug: https://www.elecok.com/media/catalo...v-1a-barrel-5035mm-with-pin-eu-2-pin-plug.jpg. The 1810-8G doesn't need the 1820-8G's adapter's capacity but I couldn't find the part number for the 1810-8G, only 1810-8. HP websites not helpful--not surprising after their HPE/HPI split.

I would presume the adapter could be used for power failover. Haven't tried it.

Power specs printed on bottom of the switch would indicate POE would be less efficient.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Polarity specs is printed on the back of your switch.

I have 1820-8Gs with adapter and here's a link to a genuine Delta part on eBay: Genuine Delta EADP-13BB B AC Adapter 12V 1.085A 5184-5863 Power Supply 13W OEM | eBay. There are fake items with the same part number but their ratings are insufficient and plug is either purposely not shown or wrong. HP uses barrel with pin in the middle. One website identifies it as a 5.0/3.5mm with pin plug: https://www.elecok.com/media/catalo...v-1a-barrel-5035mm-with-pin-eu-2-pin-plug.jpg. The 1810-8G doesn't need the 1820-8G's adapter's capacity but I couldn't find the part number for the 1810-8G, only 1810-8. HP websites not helpful--not surprising after their HPE/HPI split.

I would presume the adapter could be used for power failover. Haven't tried it.

Power specs printed on bottom of the switch would indicate POE would be less efficient.

Thanks! What I meant for polarity is since it's a barrel with pin there are 3 potential connections.