HP 1810-24G...any thoughts/experience?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

halkx

May 21, 2011
Hi,

I found an HP 1810-24G to replace my Dell 2716 (need more ports...).

Has anyone here used one of these? I chose it over the 2724 because of fanless operation...

Thanks

Michael

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have not gotten to. Please keep us updated on your experiences.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
We use one in the home/office and have been extremely pleased with it over the past 12 months or so - so far it hasn't required rebooting, is silent and seems to run fairly cool even with heavy use and it's easy to set up teaming/trunking with ubuntu and ESXi - I haven't tried setting up teaming for any other OS' yet.

The web interface is easy to navigate and vlans etc. are simple to set up.

The heaviest use it sees is maxxing out a couple of gigabit connections to two workstations and streaming movie content to two or three media players at once, though, so we're really not pushing the boundaries in terms of performance. It's bloody handy to have 24 ports, though, as all of our peripherals (laser printers etc.) are now plugged into the one location. Now I just need to find a good labeler for the horde of cables coming out of the back...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Excellent switch. Its been the mainstay of the LAN in my home for well over a year, running 4 VLANs and a 2 port LAG uplink to my 10Gig switch (on the optical ports). Rock solid and quiet. No evidence of packet loss even under high loads on multiple ports.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I'm looking to extend my home network to an out building ( I'm converting the barn for other uses ) and I'd like to extend a hard wired rather than a wireless network out there. My current 1810-24G (J9803A) is working well and I'd like to add another. The total distance is less than 100', but this seems like a good opportunity to go optical rather than cat5e.

I've never looked at the requirements to connect these optically ... is it as simple as a couple of inexpensive transceivers from ebay and some inexpensive optical cable from monoprice ?

Anything that I need to be aware of such as HP switches only working with HP transceivers ?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
If you are going to another building and running the cable outdoors then you definitely want to use fiber. You could go 100' with Cat-5/6, but you are exposed to electrical/grounding issues and - depending on where you live - picking up surges from lightening. You are also of some risk of ground potential differences between the two buildings - probably not too much risk if the barn is on the same electric service as the house but there is some.

Fiber is a good idea!

You do need to be careful when selecting the SFPs. HP "brand locks" their SFP interface so you need to get modules that will respond as if they are HP branded. You don't have to get actual HPs SFPs - they are expensive. There are grey-market parts that should do the trick. I don't think the IBM branded SFPs will work in the 1910.

Try these instead: HP Compaq 229204 001 1GB SFP Transceiver 212192 002 JDS Uniphase 52P6539 | eBay

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Fiber is a good idea!
Thanks for the eBay pointer, parts are on order.

I'd certainly considered using fiber due to potential noise immunity and ground potential concerns. The house and the barn have their own power feeds, but both come from the same transformer out on the pole about 130' away. However, the house and barn do have independent ground rods.

I plan on trenching between the two buildings and running the fiber in conduit.

Looking at Monoprice, they have a couple of LC/LC options, OM2 (orange) and OM3 (aqua). From the descriptions it seems as if they are optimized for best optical transmission at specific wavelengths ( although I'm guessing they are broadband enough to transmit, but perhaps not efficiently, in the 700 to 1500nm range).

OM3 should work OK ??

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
om3 monoprice laser optimized (lol) works fine.

Does the 1810 support STP? I have one for light work but I coulda swore it did not support STP and thus was only good at the edge. STP is important to use!

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
From HPs business support site.

Q: Does the ProCurve Switch 1810G series support Spanning Tree Protocols (STP)?

No, the ProCurve Switch 1810G Series does not support any of the Spanning Tree Protocols (802.1s, 802.1D, or 802.1w). However, BPDU packets are still passed.
I have a v1 1810-24g at home and have been very happy with it. I never have to reboot it although we do sometimes have the power RCBs trip as we overload our 35A home power limit (wifes hair dryer / Iron usually tips the balance not the 42U rack of servers ;) ). Mine did develop an issue, after around 5 years, but I called HP and the next business day a replacement (reconditioned) unit was delivered to my home. Cant really complain at that. The new version (1810-24G v2) has lower power requirements and a few other tweeks. These are the switches I sell the most of by far.

RB

Last edited:

snonsens

Aug 17, 2013
Does the 1810 support STP? I have one for light work but I coulda swore it did not support STP and thus was only good at the edge. STP is important to use!
I purchased several HP 1810 V2/V1 and 1800 the last years, because those 24 port switches are fanless. But lately I changed to Zyxel GS1910-24. The main reason was software features. HP´s 18XX series doesn´t offer very much. Just look at Zyxel´s comparison: http://www.zyxel.kr/support/matrix/gs1910-24hp.zip
It´s "Zyxel" and not "HP", but hey, it´s cheaper and has kind of lifetime warranty as well.

Last edited:

jibesh101

Dec 8, 2012
Texas
Fiber is a good idea!

You do need to be careful when selecting the SFPs. HP "brand locks" their SFP interface so you need to get modules that will respond as if they are HP branded. You don't have to get actual HPs SFPs - they are expensive. There are grey-market parts that should do the trick. I don't think the IBM branded SFPs will work in the 1910.

Try these instead: HP Compaq 229204 001 1GB SFP Transceiver 212192 002 JDS Uniphase 52P6539 | eBay
I believe the Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL 10GbE SFP+ transceivers work with the the HP 1800 series switches. These can be had for less then $40 on eBay (they also work with Mellanox Connect-X EN cards).

I'll check it out again between my HP 1800-24G and 1810-24G V2 when I get home to be sure.

jibesh101

Dec 8, 2012
Texas
If you are going to another building and running the cable outdoors then you definitely want to use fiber. You could go 100' with Cat-5/6, but you are exposed to electrical/grounding issues and - depending on where you live - picking up surges from lightening. You are also of some risk of ground potential differences between the two buildings - probably not too much risk if the barn is on the same electric service as the house but there is some.

Fiber is a good idea!

I believe the Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL 10GbE SFP+ transceivers work with the the HP 1800 series switches. These can be had for less then $40 on eBay (they also work with Mellanox Connect-X EN cards).

I'll check it out again between my HP 1800-24G and 1810-24G V2 when I get home to be sure.
The HP 1800-24G and 1810-24G v2 switches do work with the Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL 10GbE SFP+ transceivers in their SFP ports. They also work with Intel's SFP+ Twinaxial cable (XDACBL1M).

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Are there any real notable differences between the 1800 and 1810? I read through the spec sheets and nothing really stood out to me.

DBayPlaya2k3

Nov 9, 2012
Houston
The HP 1800-24G and 1810-24G v2 switches do work with the Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL 10GbE SFP+ transceivers in their SFP ports. They also work with Intel's SFP+ Twinaxial cable (XDACBL1M).
When you say these work with 10g SPF are u saying they will nogotiate a 10G link between it and a Mellenox EN card or that it will negotiate a 1G link? I have had this switch 1810-24 v2 for about 2 years so I'd be very surprised if it could handle any 10g since its not in the specs.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
yeah no way in hell

When you say these work with 10g SPF are u saying they will nogotiate a 10G link between it and a Mellenox EN card or that it will negotiate a 1G link? I have had this switch 1810-24 v2 for about 2 years so I'd be very surprised if it could handle any 10g since its not in the specs.
1g switching only, the 1810 series shares the SFP with RJ45 ports anyways. A link between two full transceivers might(?) run at 10g but the link between transceiver and the 1810 backplane isn't going to give it that so its moot.