How To Use SFP with Dell Powerconnect 2748 and 2724

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I've got both of these in unmanaged mode and have some dac cables. The link on the sfp ports will flash for a bit when the 2724 is rebooted, but then once booted they go silent and no traffic is passed.

Will sfp and dac only work in managed mode? Do sfps in general only work in managed switches?

Thank you in advance!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
if I remember right dell has a vendor lock on optics, are they dell branded SFPs? SFP/optics/dacs/ don't have anything to do with what mode the switch is in so it's not that

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Nope, not Dell branded and actually 10G dacs that I got cheap that I was hoping would work at 1gb. But if not, no biggie as they're dirt cheap as far as dacs come.

Dangi_All

Aug 5, 2019
Look at the port config, maybe there is a VLAN defined there, that happened to me with the 5524.

As for optics, both 5524 I have running work with non-Dell DACs SFP+

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Look at the port config, maybe there is a VLAN defined there, that happened to me with the 5524.

As for optics, both 5524 I have running work with non-Dell DACs SFP+
Thank you! But I'm running in unmanaged mode, so vlans shouldn't be an issue. And I would think vlans wouldn't affect link, would it?

The 5524's are also much newer than these. These weren't so great on the managed side, but are excellent as just dumb switches. I just wanted to use the sfp ports to ran a dac between two of them because the dac cable was as cheap as a 5e patch. :D