How to update Supermicro BIOS and IPMI on H12SSL-NT

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I'm looking to update the BIOS and IPMI on my H12SSL-NT via the IPMI web interface but am unclear on a few details:

1) Should I update IPMI (BMC) first or BIOS first?

2) When updating IPMI, what are the current recommendations on the "Preserve Configuration", "Preserve SDR" and "Preserve SSL Certificate" checkboxes? (UI defaults to all 3 checked....I'm still using the stock SSL cert)

3) When updating BIOS, what are the current recommendations on the "Preserve NVRAM" and "Preserve SMBIOS" checkboxes? (UI defaults: NVRAM unchecked and SMBIOS checked)

4) Any other tips and/or tricks to make this go smoothly?

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I prefer Not to preserve any settings.
In the past New BIOS/ipmi Features didn't Play along with the current settings and caused Problems.
To 1: Update ipmi First. After a hopefully succesful Update restart the unit and Then Update the BIOS. (Don't Update the BIOS through ipmi while an os is running!)

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks! So you would uncheck the 3 IPMI checkboxes and 2 BIOS checkboxes I mentioned in my original post?