How to setup vyatta in home lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I have a netgear N600 WNDR3400 router http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDR3400-N600-Wireless-Router/dp/B0041LYY6K for home...in a rented apartment with other tenants...so this cannot be touched :(
So now i want to setup a vyatta in my home lab setup. How can i achieve this?

The last time i tried something with pfsense it took over the router and since i have no wireless on my desktop/server i have to cancel the setup and reinstated the network back to the netgear router. So i know these software routers do take over the single home network.

So what do i do so i can play around with this vyatta in a lab environment?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I have a netgear N600 WNDR3400 router http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDR3400-N600-Wireless-Router/dp/B0041LYY6K for home...in a rented apartment with other tenants...so this cannot be touched :(
So now i want to setup a vyatta in my home lab setup. How can i achieve this?

The last time i tried something with pfsense it took over the router and since i have no wireless on my desktop/server i have to cancel the setup and reinstated the network back to the netgear router. So i know these software routers do take over the single home network.

So what do i do so i can play around with this vyatta in a lab environment?
Patrick found what is certainly the easiest way to play with Vyatta: The $89 Ubiquiti EdgeMax EdgeRouter Lite. See EdgeMAX | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Alright here is what i have. I have the Netgear N600 WNDR3400 router which connects directly to the ISP..and then i used a powerline Dlink powerline (D Link Powerline AV 500 4 Port Gigabit Home Plug DHP 540 | eBay) which helps me have a wired experience instead of running cables around the whole house.

Now i use the ports on the powerline to connect to my servers and home desktop.

So now i am trying to the Cisco SG300-10 switch and i want to have emulate a colo for a lab setup using vyatta.

What are the steps i need to go to get this achieved? I have access to the router and can make changes through the GUI

Thanks

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Well it is a Vyatta fork but good point. I have now ordered from Amazon: Amazon.com: EdgeRouter Lite ERLite-3 512MB 3 Ethernet Ports Router: Camera & Photo
Are you going to be replacing the pfSense's at the colo with these? I bought one myself and I like it a lot, the only thing that turns me off is the lack of any real HA capabilities. From what I understand there aren't any config sync utilities and the connection tracking and sharing isn't support but "may work".

Thoughts on this?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am considering it. The reason I got two was to try out VRRP and BGP. Worst case I am out $180. They also get pretty hot.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
They did - this is the same thing you are trying to do - http://forums.servethehome.com/networking/2949-home-lab-networking-trying-emulate-colocation.html

Configure your router WAN to go to your internal LAN. Ensure your IP address ranges do not overlap. So you have:

Outside -WAN Shared Router LAN - WAN Vyatta LAN - Anything you want behind Vyatta

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
I am considering it. The reason I got two was to try out VRRP and BGP. Worst case I am out $180. They also get pretty hot.
Let me know how your VRRP trials go, they do get very very hot I was surprised.....but as long as they don't fall over :)

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
They did - this is the same thing you are trying to do - http://forums.servethehome.com/networking/2949-home-lab-networking-trying-emulate-colocation.html

Configure your router WAN to go to your internal LAN. Ensure your IP address ranges do not overlap. So you have:

Outside -WAN Shared Router LAN - WAN Vyatta LAN - Anything you want behind Vyatta
So do i still need to get the Cisco SG300 switch? I mean i have gone through that thread and don't understand it.
I can tell you what devices i have and the setup currently and all i just want is a step of things to do. Like how do i setup vyatta WAN to connect to the LAN? that part i am not sure off. i can get vyatta as a VM no problem just how to set things up is the issue and that is why i started the thread to get help

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
If you use physical devices use Ethernet to connect LA and WAN.

Given your statement, you may just want to do virtual.

To that up:
1. Download image
2. Read documentation online
3. Setup according to how you want

Seems like you are asking everyone questions without investing even even the slightest bit of effort to research beforehand.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
If you use physical devices use Ethernet to connect LA and WAN.

Given your statement, you may just want to do virtual.

To that up:
1. Download image
2. Read documentation online
3. Setup according to how you want

Seems like you are asking everyone questions without investing even even the slightest bit of effort to research beforehand.

The thing i have tried doing this and reading everything online and i messed up the network...i am not trying to mess things up and i thought it makes sense to ask for step by step guide from people who have a similar setup or experience to help and guide me through it..i thought that was what help meant

but its like people will hold out information not because they dont know but for some reason i have no idea about. if you know what steps i should follow then say it if not then no point saying anything if it will not really do what i am asking help for.

if i try to set this up and end up messing things up again..will you be happy then that i try?

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Let me give you a hint. When you @#%*$! up your network you had two dhcp servers and were possibly using some weird ass default ip addressing scheme.
Write your stuff down.

If you put more into this thread than 'the network broke', you will get more help too.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK so I think this topic has run its course. Closing this thread.

uberguru - I will send you a PM shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.