How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by azev, Mar 1, 2015.

1. ycp

ycp Member

Hello,
    I have 2 drives Netapp Hitachi 10TB drives that are formated to 520B. THe model numbers are X377_STATE10TA07
    I am using sg_Utils to format them back to 512B.
    Both disks are not finishing the reformat process.
    1st disk stops at Format Unit Complete at 2.61%
    2nd disk stops at Format Unit Complete at 83.15%

I have tried multiple times with the same issue and stops around at the same percentage.
    What could be the problem?

2. Robert Townley

Robert Townley New Member

Did you follow the post about drastically increasing the timeout and references this modified https://github.com/ahouston/setblocksize/wiki ?

He found that reformatting a 3TB drive required 780 minutes ( 13 hours ) but the default timeout was something like 200 minutes.

nthu9280 likes this.
  3. ycp

ycp Member

@Robert Townley thanks for this info. I did not know about this method. I will give it a try.

4. hjulian

hjulian New Member

Just wanted to get back with some feedback. There was no change after connecting one single SATA SSD to the first SCSI port of my RAID controller in IT mode. I modified an original Dell PERC H310 RAID card into IT mode. I used the CentOS 6.10 Live DVD (USB actually, burned ISO image to USB using Rufus). The sg3 utils package had to be installed extra. (the same with an Ubuntu Live DVD)
    I also opened the SSD itself, hoping to find some write protect jumper with no success.

So if anyone has any idea how to flash a different firmware to these Samsung SATA SSDs (F/W VCC16C3Q) or bypass the "sense key" error or apparent write protected state, let us know.

5. Anri Hakobyan

Anri Hakobyan New Member

This is GREAT. Thank you for the post. Helped a lot!

In case anyone is wondering. It is possible to run multiple formats at the same time.

I have 8 hard drives (2tb each), each drive takes about 9 hours to format. I opened multiple SSH instances and ran the command for each drive simultaneously. Everything went smooth, all drives are formatted just fine and work.

Thanks again!

6. EffrafaxOfWug

EffrafaxOfWug Radioactive Member

If you weren't already aware of it, this is precisely the sort of thing screen was written for.