How to reduce time at the desk, forcefully?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Well one idea I had was to implement one of those standing-desks in the house, it could work?

banner-summer-930.jpg

Speed up whatever one is doing on the workstation, keep the blood moving in the right direction (including digestion), and within a reasonable timeframe possibly even completely delete an ingrown habit of being stuck at the workstation...

Thoughts?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
We have desks at work that can be used as standing or sitting desks, nobody uses them exclusively as standing or sitting desks...
and within a reasonable timeframe possibly even completely delete an ingrown habit of being stuck at the workstation
Thoughts?
I don't think that a different desk fixes that problem and that you will have to learn to take breaks every 30-45 minutes :D

Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
How does the old adage go? the old dog, a new trick? lol

Coming from a nerdy dungeon-based programmer background (the part of the building which isn't on the blueprint)... old habits die hard.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
It might sound a bit bizarre, but one of the things I miss most about giving up smoking was semi-regular breaks to go out for a fag, something I ended up doing at home as well (when I could have smoked in my room) simply because it did my head no end of good to stop fixating on a problem for five minutes. Half the time the answer I'd been looking for would come to me when I was staring at a tree or something.

Standing desks don't really do the same for me but I've always used good chairs with proper lumbar support, so never really found any benefit to them myself. A good brisk walk does way more for my legs than a few hours shuffling uncomfortably from one foot to another, YMMV of course.

What I have now is a very demanding cat. When she claws at my legs wanting food, that usually means it's a good time to down tools, stand up, make a cuppa, perhaps walk to the corner shop and back or around the streets or do a bit of prodding things in the garden. And maybe feed the cat if I feel like it once she's properly would up.

Reactions: Dreece and itronin

Yames

Oct 18, 2020
I've had a standing desk for years. I can tell you it in no way "forces" me away from the computer. The problem is simply life, .. Work is on a computer, Hobbies are computer based, and most entertainment used for winding down is again .. on the computer.

You don't need for force yourself away from the computer. What you need to do is force yourself to identify a hobby that pulls you away from the desk.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
What excuses i use for breaks.
1. dogs want to go for a walk. 5-15 mins depending on weather
2. I need a nap, so take a quick 15-30 min nap on comfy chair outside my office space.
3. i talk to my wife while roaming around the house or stopping for food breaks.
4. i order a new "toy" and don't want to wait to play with it (doesn't happen often though)

I use my standing desk mostly for when my back hurts from sitting to long. Some times when i am standing i use low weights to do some quick reps. (but in full discloser, i haven't been keeping up with that lol)