how to quiet X3650 servers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

agent0

May 28, 2013
I have two X3650 M4 servers that I would like to use in my home lab. If I had a basement, I would rack the servers there and this would not be a problem. So, I'm looking for ideas on how to quiet these servers down. Do these servers have standard size ATX boards, can I remove all case fans and install new heat sinks? Another question is it possible to perform a case transplant? Thanks in advance for all fed back.

These fans are currently installed in the server.

Specs
E5-2650x2
256gb
ServeRAID M5110
16 1.2TB 2.5 sas drives
Dual power supplies

Last edited:

nasomi

Jan 11, 2016
It's not a standard size atx board, it's fans are temperature sensing and proprietary. Anything is possible with money, but I would recommend against a case transplant as just asking the question indicates that you don't have much experience with this. I would google images of the internals of the machine, and you should be able to tell pretty strait away that other than hdd's/ram/cpu, they share almost nothing with the consumer world, both in quality or fitment.

jbv1982

Nov 5, 2017
I had six of these. When you powered just one up, you knew it was running throughout my whole house. A single x3650 M4 at idle could be heard over my DS2246 filled with drives, R820, R7910, and R610 running stacked on top of each other. I did a lot of research but couldn’t figure out any way to lower the fan speed short of “hacking” the fan in some way to run lower (Arduino, resistors, etc, but then you have to be careful the system doesn’t see a fan fault and run all of them at full speed).

It has a very distinct low rumbling sound. God help you if it gets under load.

I ended up parting out the CPUs, RAM, and PSUs and recycling the chassis.

And you have to understand, with servers everything sans the CPUs, memory, disks (usually) and some add-in cards are proprietary for the most part.