How to Pass-through PCIe NICs with Proxmox VE on Intel and AMD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nvrsame1

Dec 14, 2021
Please help explain this case. I am trying to virtualize Pfsense under proxmox.

I need help on Proxmox setting, specially the host network setting and pfsense configuration of the WAN and LAN selection between pcie device or vnet0(Virtual Switch) or Vnet1(Virtual Switch)?

What are the best practice?
Please help me in patrick's diagram and settings.

Configuration2.png

ETHO: PVE MGMT Base: Manage VM Crashing
  • Under Proxmox, did you assign the port device, IP address? and Gateway under the Virtual Bridge?

ETH1: PVE LAN: Access the Lan, assuming pass through on pfsense, virtual machine Lan connection

• Bridge ETH1; Guacamole, Wifi Controler, Ubuntu
  • My question is for the virtual bridge, did you had to specify the port under proxmox for ETH1?
  • Is this the VMBR0? assigned in the VM ? How do they get the connection from Behind PFsense?

ETH2: WAN PORT/PFsense in VM | Assigned network PCIE Device:03 in VM
  • Under PFsense, did you select Vnet0 ? or the PCIE device?
  • Did you also create a bridge, or make a vlan to make it connect to the VM?

ETH3: LAN Port/ Pfsense | Assigned network PCIE Device :04
  • How are VM getting a connection? My problem is I can't access proxmox or have VM get connection?

Attachments

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Reactions: nvrsame1

nvrsame1

Dec 14, 2021
For VMs, do we pass the bridge network VMBRO, which ID the PFsense Lan?

Proxmox Virtualization6.png

Thank you for helping me understand the layout and setup. I appreciate your effort in the site and knowledge. I am addicted to watching and learning new tech.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you are just trying to get pfSense on the bridge, then you can skip the pass-through, and do a virtualized NIC setup as the pfSense LAN.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Hello to all! I got one of these: J4125 FW 2.5 Gbe devices - have 16GB RAM and 128GB storage + 256 SSD

Works quite nice so far - except . . . .

Latest Proxmox installed with NIC passthrough working for ETH1-3 - using ETH0 in Proxmox with static IP on virtual bridge - which I in turn - added the Proxmox vmbr0 to the OPNSense VM and bridged it with the physical nics as the LAN interface

Screenshot from 2022-06-10 20-34-39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-10 um 20.15.17.png

The Proxmox node has a static IP of 192.168.30.2 which is associated with vmbr0 - funny enough, I can ping the address - but can't open the Proxmox GUI from the 192.168.30.X network (DHCP supplied fron the OPNSense) - all other addresses are reachable ?!?

Screenshot from 2022-06-10 20-33-01.png

Using virtio for driver in VM:

Screenshot from 2022-06-10 20-31-57.png

I'm stumped . . . any hints would be welcome!

Cheers,
Robert

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Use E1000 instead and then try disabling hw checksum offload if that is an option. This happened on pfSense on Proxmox bridges too and the fix is E1000.

Reactions: rfox

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Use E1000 instead and then try disabling hw checksum offload if that is an option. This happened on pfSense on Proxmox bridges too and the fix is E1000.
I originally had E1000 setup - but read that the performance of the virtio is substantially better :rolleyes: I will check the hw checksum as well. BTW, the screenshot shows that the VM has "firewall=1" - which I subsequently shut off which still didn't help . .

Also, when I plug a laptop directly into the ETH0 port where the Proxmox IP lives, it works just fine . . .

Cheers,
R.Fox

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Guess no one can help - I was thinking maybe I need to add the Proxmox host IP to the OPNSense routing table - or maybe in the hosts file?!?