How to make a Supermicro quiet (without mods)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

brephil

Apr 23, 2021
Hello all... I wanted to share some work I did that might help someone.

The project is based on a Supermicro chassis that I picked up on ebay:
CSE-836E16-R92JBD

My goal to NOT modify the chassis failed, but it was a minor REQUIRED change, I had to Dremel out the back stamped steal for the the motherboard I/O. The JBOD chassis does not have this "punched" out. Maybe why these were so cheap on Ebay, but it was a simple fix.

Anyway, the idea is to not do ANYMORE modifications. I watched countless YouTube videos on Noctua mods, well my thought was what if the stock fans ran at low RPM (like the fancy Noctuas ), they should be quiet and have a lot of head room when need (sometimes need them to move AIR). I can put my Dremel away and keep the plug in play features of the fans.

That means simply using the stock fans (3 x 80mm mid fan + 2 x 80mm back). But as you all know these are LOUD at full duty cycle! But when I heard them at 30%, they were not all that bad! I found some really great ideas with ipmi scripts (the intraweb is full of examples), and went to work.

It's not fancy and I could use advise to make this better. This works for X10 based super motherboards btw...

I should mention, I use the air shroud and stock active coolers for the CPUs ( E6-2660), the passive cooler work but the active really keeps the temps low. But if you plan on using the passive cooler the shroud is important.

Here is the code for the fan scheduled:

I run this as a systemd service on my proxmox server.

P.S.
For My SAS HBA (it gets hot) I have a StarTech.com Expansion Slot Rear Exhaust Cooling fan in place.

Attachments