How to log all websites visited from people in the office?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have a need to log all website visited by employees in the office. I don't need to know who's viewing what website, just which websites are visited.

I am looking at DNS log from pi-hole but it doesn't show everything.

I don't want to install anything on people computer, I need something on the firewall (which right now is just a Verizon router which then use the DNS from pi-hole VM).

Thanks

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
What is it you are missing from the pi-hole log?

As per the following website, it logs domain requested and later what IP the domain resolved to:

As I see it, you have the following options, if that does not work for you:
  1. Setup a firewall to replace the verizon router that can do DNS logging and sinkholing
  2. Install a tool like passivedns on pi-hole VM to monitor DNS (by traffic sniffing)
  3. Somehow figure out how to make pi-hole do the logging that you need.
  4. Setup a sniffing probe with something like Zeek to capture DNS traffic and log it.
That all said, you may well not be able to log DoH unless you implement a proxy and deny-out firewall rules.

Reactions: nk215

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Thank you. Let me look more into it. I was using pi-hole web interface log query and just realized that I'll need to refresh the page to see the new logs.

Thanks