How to install ESXi 7 on Elite desk 800G4 mini (35W)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Witzker

Jan 5, 2022
Hi,
WHO can help a newbie, Pls.
I want to install ESXi 7 on a SSD connected via USB
Inside the elite desk I have 2 M.2 SSDs same type with 500 GB
My intention is to have a Raid 1 with this 2 M.2 SSDs
How to set up Bios?
Should I build the raid 1 in Elite Desk bios?
OR
Is it possible like in TrueNas to have the raid built with ESXi after installation?
Hope for help and info if, or what, is the best way to achieve this
Many THX

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
If your computer does not have support for RAID, which the HP EliteDesks do not natively have, you can not setup those drives as RAID.
You would need an addon raid card for that, probably with low profile bracket as well.

As it is, the only thing you can do is install ESXi and use the two drives as separate storage pools, 500GB each.

Both TrueNAS and ESXi work as hypervisors, as in they host other operative systems and applications, so you should only install one of them and go from there. ESXi is sort of specialized to host other OS's, TrueNAS can do that and host apps out of the box, so TrueNAS is a lot more versatile in that respect.

A bit like:

ESXi > OS > App

TrueNAS > App
or
TrueNAS > OS > App

ESXi also have more limitations in regards to what hardware you use, there are lots of CPU's and other hardware you can not install ESXi on, unless you really really want to and figure out how to do it.