How to get IP block directly

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Echoing above. You should really hire someone to design and manage your infrastructure. That was like asking if your IP address is the same as your password. Strongly suggest you seek a managed solution.
I have been managing several servers for over 4 years now...myself...no sys admin..i am the sys admin...and i have had things break and i fix them...i troubleshoot them and get the problems fixed.

Just because i ask certain questions doesn't mean much...it is what happened when one is learning things without anyone around to physically explain things to you....you tend to ask those questions online or find answers online..and the problems with articles is once written that is it...no one to ask anything...why forums are much better.

Got it?

I already have my RHCSA certification...about to take the RHCE in a month or so...2 months max..and going for the CCNA around the same time....just some info for you :)

Last edited:

LeoS

Jun 19, 2013
I always find a way..lol
Any remember all it is is just the setup of the network...that's my only problem
It's best to understand and be familiar with the technology that you're going to use before you deploy them to production.
Simulate what you want at home and be familiar with not just setting them up, but keeping them up and troubleshooting them before you start paying hosting fees.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I have been managing several servers for over 4 years now...myself...no sys admin..i am the sys admin...and i have had things break and i fix them...i troubleshoot them and get the problems fixed.
Oh this is great. VLAN is an important concept in CCNA IIRC. What is your current setup like? How does the new one differ?

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
It's best to understand and be familiar with the technology that you're going to use before you deploy them to production.
Simulate what you want at home and be familiar with not just setting them up, but keeping them up and troubleshooting them before you start paying hosting fees.
I plan to get C6100 meaning i can use 1 node for prod and use others for lab until i can deploy all 4 nodes for prod
Also i will not be migrating my current server over to the colo server just yet...plan using 1 month(2 months) max to get the feel of things before permanently calling leaseweb(yes made the choice already) my new partner.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Oh this is great. VLAN is an important concept in CCNA IIRC. What is your current setup like? How does the new one differ?
Not sure what you are refering to as current and new one but i will assume you meant my current prod environment...well that is on VPS (16GB dedicated RAM, 4 vcore from Intel E5600 series, 1TB RAID 1 storage and with continuous snapshot backup setup by the host as well..can restore at will through web interface @ surprisingly $50/month) and since the host obviously set things up...the new one differ in the sense that i will need to setup everything up myself now with the colo including the network and having multiple nodes...i need to understand the networking to get things to work properly.

I am learning alot more networking stuffs now...and actually adding the dots up little by little...plan taking the CCNA exam by August with the RHCE...will be ready at the pace i am going.

Last edited:

howlym

Jun 3, 2013
I am not sure for RIPE, but for ARIN, pay $500 to get an ASN first, then you can start request IP addresses

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
I am not sure for RIPE, but for ARIN, pay $500 to get an ASN first, then you can start request IP addresses
Not quite that simple.
You'll only be awarded an ASN if you are multihomed, and can show contracts with multiple transit providers, or if you require special routing policies, and provide documentation showing said special policy.

Off the top of my head:
Also /24 is the smallest assignment with an ASN, without an ASN I believe /21 is the smallest assignment.
You should be able to show that you're currently @ 25% utilization of request, and within 1 year @ 50% utilization or more.

nickshah

Jul 2, 2013
A Static IP block is a block of IP’s that are routed directly to a specific IP on our network. Every IP address in a Static block is usable on the server. One of the primary benefits to a Static block of IP’s is that you do not lose the first two and last IP from the block.