How to get firmware from Oracle

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wickedgtr

Jul 25, 2016
I only tried nvme-cli a bit off a live-boot Ubuntu usb stick, without much luck, and tried hp/dell/samsung flashing utilities in a windows environment as well. I need to do a temp install of CentOS instead of a live-boot so I can test more.

Oflyttbar

Nov 4, 2017
Only nvme-cli will work. This is an oem card and traditionally this card would be updated with oracle's utilities that only work if you have the card in a oracle server.

refer to this forum post where they used nvme-cli to update a F160 card. Should be the same process just a different firmware file. Have a look at the picture for the commands in post #31. This worked for me in the past when I had to update a F160.
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...el-dc-p3605-p3600-800.9973/page-2#post-121347

wickedgtr

Jul 25, 2016
You are a hero. Thank you very much. Apparently the older version of NVME-CLI I was using wasn't working. Installed the latest, and was able to update the fw.

Reactions: Oflyttbar

wickedgtr

Jul 25, 2016
So I attempted performance testing on a pair of these F320 drives, and any large block transfers are really quite slow.

I have two drives, and one was brand new, no power on cycles according to SMART. And their preformance is within testing margins, but not fast. I have older FLASHMAXII drives that seem to kill it on large block transfers. Is this normal?

Attachments

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So I attempted performance testing on a pair of these F320 drives, and any large block transfers are really quite slow.

I have two drives, and one was brand new, no power on cycles according to SMART. And their preformance is within testing margins, but not fast. I have older FLASHMAXII drives that seem to kill it on large block transfers. Is this normal?
Uhm yeah something doesn't look right there at all, I mean, even a normal SATA SSD does > than that on 1MB blocks sequetnail.

I have some 3.2TB Oracle V-NAND 2.5" I need to bencharmk today still, and test, I'll let you knwo what I find. Did you upgrade the firmware on yours yet? I'm undecided if it's worth attempting.

wickedgtr

Jul 25, 2016
Uhm yeah something doesn't look right there at all, I mean, even a normal SATA SSD does > than that on 1MB blocks sequetnail.

I have some 3.2TB Oracle V-NAND 2.5" I need to bencharmk today still, and test, I'll let you knwo what I find. Did you upgrade the firmware on yours yet? I'm undecided if it's worth attempting.
I did upgrade the firmware, I wish I tested before to see if it affected the performance. I also, need to re-test in another system to make sure its not a local issue, although the FLASHMAXII tests were the same system (and an older Raid 0 with 12x Intel 730 480GB on an Areca 1883) so I am not sure.

Oflyttbar

Nov 4, 2017
I believe I have some older firmware's for the F320 if you decide you want to try flashing back

wickedgtr

Jul 25, 2016
No actually, the performance was better in a PCIe 2.0 slot on the other PC, it wont recognize the card in PCE3.0 mode. So it didnt reach the crazy high reads that SSD can get, but the writes for larger blocks was normal.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Did it never recognize in a 3.0 slot, or was that only post update? Can you pm firmware? What's the catastrophic issue with default firmware? Does anyone else have any experience with these?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@wickedgtr so which firmware did you ended up flashing the drive with ?? is it oracle firmware of is it default samsung firmware ?

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
@wickedgtr We would be very grateful if you would help the rest of us who are stuck with the older F320 firmware! Thanks, Layla

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
@wickedgtr We're all very curious what you did! Did you end up getting a different OEM firmware to cross-flash to the card? Or did you end up finding the Oracle firmware somehow? A PM would be super helpful if you don't want to share the firmware publicly.

Oflyttbar

Nov 4, 2017
Here's the latest Oracle firmware for F320. Be mindful that there's two versions of the F320 MS1PC2DD3 and MS1PC5ED3. Use the correct firmware for your version of F320.

Firmware can be installed in linux with nvme-cli

File is too big for me to attach to this message (new member restriction?) so I uploaded it here:

F320.zip - AnonFile

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@Oflyttbar thank you for posting the firmware file and instruction, just one quick questions, how do you know which of the 2 files are the correct one for the F320?? I have both form factor U2 and HHL, but looking at smart info they are identical as far as I remember.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I think I got it, after further inspection of the model number the U2 version is MS1PC2DD3ORA3.2T & the AIC version is MS1PC5ED30RA3.2T.

I assume that the 2 firmware file are for the 2 type of form factor:

MS1PC2DD3.IR3Q.fw -- MS1PC2DD3ORA3.2T
MS1PC5ED3.IR3Q.fw -- MS1PC5ED30RA3.2T

Reactions: T_Minus

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
Hey guys,
i bought a sun oracle F320 3.2TB NVME PCIe Drive. Sadly my windows server doesnt start the drive.
It has code 10. The device cant be started. It is not available.
Any idea how to fix this? or do i have a damaged drive?
Thanks.