How to flash DELL H200 to LSI 9211-8i RAID Firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

needcache

Nov 9, 2011
Hi,

maybe someone can help me.
I try to use a H200 in Raid1 with hotspar disk in a non DELL server. The problem is, that by default the cache is disabled for the vdisk and it's NOT possible to enable the cache with the OMSA LiveCD, or any other OMSA related method (e.g. Ubuntu LiveCD and installing the need tools/config ...), because the service doesn't start on a NON DELL server!
I read reports about successfull flashing, but NO details about what version of sas2flsh, rom & bin/fw was used. The not working combinations it tried so far:
dos sas2flsh ver.7 + P11 (or P9, P10) files, with instructions from the lsi kb.

But if someone reports, that in generic firmware it's also NOT possible to enable cache for the vdisk, then I don't need to try this.

Thanks

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
What cache is disabled ?
The H200 has no cache to enable.

The H200 is also basically a LSI9211-8i already

You need to be very careful with xflashing as you can end up with a paper weight.

needcache

Nov 9, 2011
What cache is disabled ?
The H200 has no cache to enable.

The H200 is also basically a LSI9211-8i already

You need to be very careful with xflashing as you can end up with a paper weight.
Here's a quote from the H200 manual (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/storlink/h200/en/UG/PDF/H200.pdf) :

On a PERC H200 card, caching is forced to be disabled for all physical disks
configured into a virtual disk, regardless of the drive type and default drive
settings.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
So we are talking about HDD cache.

Looks like it is disabled (forced) by theH200
This will be Dell being cautious to not loose data in a power cut.
Having the option to dis/enable would be a more democratic.

You should be able to use the 9211 FW from LSI (it has IT and IR ones) and apply the same principle as the M1015 (IT/IR) flashing guides on the web.

Ofcourse the H200 is a true 9211 based card as the M1015 is a 9240 even though same ROC they are slightly different internally.