How to find the right SATA driver, stuttering problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

USF

May 26, 2017
I'll make this quick. I have a mobo not on the compatibility list and am having SSD/Controller issues and think changing the driver might make things work. Others have had similar probs and that fixed it. I don't know how to find what that would be.

I have tried ESXi 6.5 and am now on 6.0 U3. I am using a Crucial MX300 SATA SSD on an Asus mobo, the H270M PLUS/CSM. The OSes, Win, Linux, and FreeBSD, all have stuttering/temporary stalling problems which are significant and copying files has been choppy at times.

The web client shows Intel 200 Series for the SATA AHCI controller. I have tried the legacy sata-xachi driver fix on VMWare Front Experience with no improvement. My Samsung 750 EVO is not even detected. It is a 7th gen i5 cpu and the chipset is H270.

How do I try and fix this? Maybe I could buy another controller but money is an issue and that prob isn't necessary.

Another person with a different setup got the right driver in use and it went from just the controller listed, (1) to having 6 ports showing under hardware. I have 1 showing now.

Thank you for your help.