How to find performance bottleneck?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eiktyrner

Aug 2, 2011
Hardware:
ASUS P5Q Premium
Intel C2Q Q9300 @ 2.5GHz
8GB RAM
LSI 9211-8i
4x4TB WD RED
1x500GB WD Blue for VM Datastore

I've installed the OmniOS + NappIT VM Appliance on ESXi 5.5 and set up the disks with RDM since my setup doesn't support vt-d. I then created two vdev mirrors under one pool and shared it over CIFS to my workstation.

When I do a simple drag & drop of a folder from my workstation to the share I only get 25MB/s which seems a bit on the low side?

Where should I start looking for tweaking this performance issue? Or is that really all I can except from this kind of setup?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Performance should be better

There are mainly the following reasons
- Disk/Poolproblems (compare a local benchmark for basic performance)
- Vnic Problems (you have e1000 and vmxnet3, try the other one)
- Physical nic problems (use a Intel Nic for ESXi if available)

- network problems (connect directly with a crossover cable)

- client problems ex due to copy tools like Teracopy or Nic problems
(if possible compare to another client best with Intel Nics if available)

last:
- compare a physical install of OmniOS

Last edited:

Eiktyrner

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks for the pointers.

-Disk/Pool problems: Are there any tools included for this? I just ran a simple test for write speed and it gave me about 95 MB/s
Code:
/usr/bin/time dd if=/dev/zero of=sometestfile bs=1024 count=50000
I know this isn't very accurate but I would be happy to get about 60-70MB/s which I think is within my reach...

-Vnic: Tried the e1000 but no change, still at 25MB/s

On my client I've got a Intel PRO/1000 GT but my server is using the built in Marvell 88E8056. I'll see if I can borrow an intel card from work to test with.