How to do patch panel with DAC Cables?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
OK, so I have my server rack all wired nicely with dac cables, then I have on the other side of the room my house network patch panel with some other switches. I want to link the two switches ( and yes the house network switch has some 10Gb links on it). How do I do a DAC cable keystone to the patch panel or is that fiber only? Or worse do I just do it with rj45 and use one of those 10BaseT adapters?
Thanks,
M

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Your post wasn't all that clear, so here are my assumptions:
- You have two switches, one in the rack and one near the house network patch panel
- You have one patch panel, near the "house switch"

Even though I am not expert on fiber cabling, I think I can say quite definitively that using DACs like that will not work.

If the distance is not too far, you could connect the switches directly to one another.
In fact if you have only one patch panel, why even bother with using it?

I am quite sure (but again not an expert) that you can get fiber keystones, like this one on amazon (mentions use in patch panels as well):

Whether you should use RJ45 based 10G depends on the switches you have, but if you have SFP+ on both, I see no reason to use that unless you intend to use existing CAT6/6a/7 cabling.

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
Thank you for your reply,
The distance is less than 4 feet from Rack to Rack. I currently have a DAC cable connecting the two switches. I was just looking for a way to make it look a bit cleaner that is all.

I do have some fiber keystones, but was wondering if there was such a thing for dac cables.
:)

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Sorry, but the clue is in the cables name: DAC - Direct Attach Copper/Cable.
If you want to use patch panels for a clean look, then you'll have to switch to transceivers and fibre cables.