how to direct connect NAS to my PC?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

matt2020

Mar 25, 2020
Hi, Trying to connect my NAS directly to my laptop using ethernet cable so I can access my data on the NAS drive without going through the wireless router.

I believe this is possible, have read and tried many how-to's, but am stuck and need a simple step-by-step instructions on inputting the correct network settings.
  • My PC is a Dell Latititude running Windows 10.
  • The NAS is a Buffalo Linkstation LS-V1.0TL
Goal is to get my music and other files off the outmoded NAS (I found Buffalo's software interface complicated and wanting) onto my laptop and/or new Western Digital 4 TB portable drive.

See attached screenshot.

Is this possible and how do I set up the ethernet connection - how to set IP address, network settings etc.?

Thanks much -- Matt2020

Attachments

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Does the NAS already have an IP on it?

Your laptop is already 10.0.0.64 on wifi,

You need to find out if the NAS already has an IP address assigned statically, and if so, set an IP for your physical ethernet device to be in that same subnet eg: if the NAS is 192.168.0.1, set your laptop to 192.168.0.2. Or, set the devices up this way if you have the ability with the software.

If everything is set to DHCP, you might need to enable windows Internet Connection Sharing on your laptop's physical ethernet device, this will setup a NAT and assign an IP to the NAS via DHCP. I believe you can query this info and find out what the IP is, and then probably connect directly to it.

Reactions: matt2020

matt2020

Mar 25, 2020
Thanks acquacow. Appreciate the input, which makes sense generally, though where and how I need help with.

How do I see the NAS to find out if it has a statically assigned IP address or not? I have a record of a different IP address when it was set up in our old home network, different router etc. Not sure where I would see this now.

How many things get an IP address?
one for the laptop/PC
one for the NAS
does the ethernet adapter get its own or count as the laptop/PC

Is this the right way to do it in Windows?

upload_2020-3-25_17-25-10.png

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Is the NAS brand new and out of the box? If so, refer to the manufacturer's instructions for IP setup. If not, refer to manufacturer's instructions for resetting the network config.

You'll have 3 IPs total.
1 for your wifi on the laptop
1 for the hard-wired network port on your laptop
1 for the NAS.

You don't need to go as far as the advanced TCP/IP settings screen, just the regular properties screen where you can click the radio button for "Use the following IP address"

-- Dave

Reactions: matt2020