How to buy non-counterfeit LSI 9207-8i ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cameron

Sep 16, 2016
I'm trying to setup my first FreeNAS or maybe plain Ubuntu ZFS VDEVS, and from sniffing around here and elsewhere, it seem the LSI 9207-8i is the controller to get for my Dell T320 (on it's way).

But looking around eBay, it is clearly a war-zone trying to figure out how to get a genuine LSI 9207-8i card, as opposed to a working counterfeit.

There are sellers on eBay, ie 'artof*' that say they try to avoid selling counterfeits,
but does anyone have any good recommendations how to avoid the counterfeits without paying $271 and buying from Digikey, an LSI distributor.
I'd really like to avoid a counterfeit and pay between $30-$60 for a good used or if possible new controller.

Thank you
Cameron

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
But looking around eBay, it is clearly a war-zone trying to figure out how to get a genuine LSI 9207-8i card, as opposed to a working counterfeit.
Did not realize the counterfeit market had picked up for these controllers. I've got a pile of hardware and equipment I am planning to list soon, including two LSI 9207-8i controllers that I bought new in 2016. Replaced them with a single 9305-24i a few weeks ago. As far as I know, they're authentic - let me know if you are interested in the pair.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
A few tips...

1) Well, avoid chinese/hong kong sellers. ;-) Prefer sellers which are in your own country. Sending stuff back to China is usually more expensive than an item is worth it. China still has the Universal Postal Union tarif advantage, that may end sometime soon though.
2) No return policy, no deal. Part could be defective. Part could be the wrong part. Part could be fake but seller knowingly used pictures from a genuine card.
3) Look through listings and count the white/greenish sticker labels on those. Highest number wins and genuine cards should have this number of labels on them. Less labels = fake.
4) Pay through Paypal so you have some means of fraud prevention by way of the payment processor.
5) There is even some site like [USD 198.13] LSI SAS 9217-8i 9207-8i array card HBA expansion card three years warranty original genuine - Wholesale from China online shopping | Buy asian products online from the best shoping agent - ChinaHao.com explaining the differences. In this case tinned J2 and J7 holes, heatsink fins should be rod-shaped rather than dash-shaped, edge of the PCB should not go from dark to light green but from dark green to light green to yellowish.
6) Sometimes you get defrauded anyway. Best mitigation is not to buy expensive stuff above say fiat 500 from unknown sources.

There, did your homework. ;-)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Full disclosure, I am probably the "artof*" person you're talking about. I put out a video about how to identify counterfeits and showed some examples of what i found on ebay.

Stephan's advice above is sound, and good way to protect yourself and to reduce risk. So, I would consider the above advice.

Regarding identification... usually the things I look for:

1) missing LSI logo silkscreen on the PCB
2) different heatsink shape/size/attachment pegs (brass vs plastics)
3) for some reason, OEM cards seem to be less likely to run into counterfeits. for example, instead of original LSI 9207-8i card, look for HP H220 card, which is labeled 9205-8i, but is really the same as 9207-8i. Same thing for Dell 9217-8i, which is equivalent to 9207-8i.
4) if I have suspicions, I send a message to the seller and ask about it straight up. usually their reply will be revealing.. if they say something like "this is OEM card" and that's why no "LSI" logo, I walk away.
5) if the model is several years old, like the 9207-8i, but is being sold as "new" without the original LSI box, then I walk away. in fact, I almost feel more comfortable buying "used" or "refurbished" condition than I do "new" ... considering these cards are several years old and I doubt are still in production. But, there's always the chance of NOS, but in that case I look for authentic packaging. LSI packaging is usually card in anti-static shield bag, with label showing S/N on the bag, and then it is sandwiched between two foam layers inside a box made out of thin cardboard with all the LSI logos and prints and blue label seal with model.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Reactions: nikalai