How to appropriately size up patch cords

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Acrodony

May 31, 2020
I'm looking to beautify my rack a little by buying appropriately sized patch cords to connect my patch panel to the switch. I have a 24-port patch panel where all and I have a 24-port Unifi switch (US-24) in my rack.

Patch panel:

1591016887276.png

Switch:

1591016923771.png

Because the patch panel spreads out the 24 ports across one horizontal line and the switch spreads it out over 2 horizontal rows — has anyone done something similar and can clue me in on which length of patch cords I need to buy?

Thank you.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
are you trying to do a 1:1 mapping? all of the cables would be under 2 ft long if the switch and the panel are next to each other.

Chris

Reactions: Acrodony

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
Because the patch panel spreads out the 24 ports across one horizontal line and the switch spreads it out over 2 horizontal rows — has anyone done something similar and can clue me in on which length of patch cords I need to buy?
If I correctly understand what you are asking, why not use a piece of string to get the right lengths? Butcher's cord/twine is great for projects like this (and many others).

Reactions: Acrodony