How important is it to use components that are on the VMware HCL?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I'm looking to build a new ESXi 6.0/6.5 whitebox server for my small business using a VMware vSphere Essentials Kit license. I'm currently shopping for a motherboard.

In the past, I've found supported Supermicro motherboards by checking the HCL for Supermicro systems and then determining which motherboards are in them.

Unfortunately, the X10 UP LGA2011-3 motherboards I am interested in (X10SRL-F and X10SRi-F) are not in any HCL systems. In fact, the only ATX motherboard from that family that appears in an HCL system is X10SRH-CLN4F. This looks like a great board but has additional features that I don't need. In particular, I'm guessing the onboard LSI3008 will require extra power and generate extra heat....or maybe it can be totally disabled?

Anyway, my understanding is that VMware Support won't talk to me if the motherboard is not on the HCL. Is this true?

Considering Supermicro motherboards are pretty mainstream and generally reliable, how likely am I to encounter technical trouble (i.e., compatibility issues, flakiness) if I move forward with one of the non-HCL motherboards?

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I never encoutered problems with esxi and prosumer (intel nics instead of realtek) or better mainbaords. If it's not on the official hcl check the community hcl, there is a lot of hardware listed that works out of the box or with tweaks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I never encoutered problems with esxi and prosumer (intel nics instead of realtek) or better mainbaords. If it's not on the official hcl check the community hcl, there is a lot of hardware listed that works out of the box or with tweaks.
What do you mean by "community HCL"? I recall something back in the ESXi 4.0 days on vm-help.com but it doesn't look like that's still maintained.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Using X9SRL-F mobo's in my vSphere 6.x lab w/ no issues, everything detected/working OOB so i think you are very safe w/ the X10SRL-F option.

open

Apr 2, 2017
Also using supermicro in lab, everything detected and working. On supermicro's site, I see those boards are compatible with 5.5u1. But I cannot find them on HCL for 6+.

That being said, yes they could give up trying to support you and blame the hardware for not being on compatible list. I would recommend you find something on the list, as you stated it's for your business

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you stick to server motherboards, you should be in good shape. From a software level, Supermicro motherboards look like stock Intel platforms for their generations. Where you get in trouble are the new NICs for new SoCs/ platforms and some of the E3 line's "V" NICs where they are essentially using a consumer embedded NIC.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks everyone....this has been extremely helpful. It turns out there's a jumper on X10SRH-CLN4F to disable the SAS chip....it's not clear if this is fully disables it or not but it looks promising. While I have yet to run into problems with hardware that's not on the HCL, since this is for running the business, I'm probably going to play it safe and get X10SRH-CLN4F.

Matt Lund

Oct 20, 2016
If you stick to server motherboards, you should be in good shape. From a software level, Supermicro motherboards look like stock Intel platforms for their generations. Where you get in trouble are the new NICs for new SoCs/ platforms and some of the E3 line's "V" NICs where they are essentially using a consumer embedded NIC.
So Patrick (or others), I'm in a similar caution-before-purchase situation. I do see some X11's with V NICS whic I'll avoid. I see others with i210-AT NICs. Would anything with i210-AT NICs be OK for vSphere? If so would that include the micro ATX models like X11SSH-LN4F? Is there anything else to be cautious about in a model like the X11SSH-LN4F for vSphere use?