How exactly do you set up Storage Tiering with parity on the HDDs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
The GUI only allows you to create dual mirror tiers, all the powershell examples I've found are for dual mirror, and the only instructions i've found are for Windows Admin Center which does not match what i'm seeing in admin center.

This is the command I tried to run from the information gathered

Code:
New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "MainPool" -FriendlyName SSD_Tier -MediaType SSD -ResiliencySettingName Mirror

New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "MainPool" -FriendlyName HDD_Tier -MediaType HDD -ResiliencySettingName Parity

$ssd_tier = get-StorageTier -FriendlyName "SSD_Tier"

$hdd_tier = get-StorageTier -FriendlyName "HDD_Tier"

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "MainPool" -FriendlyName "MainDisk" -StorageTiers @($ssd_tier, $hdd_tier) -StorageTierSizes @(72GB, 17.2TB) -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -WriteCacheSize 12GB
The Result

Code:
New-VirtualDisk : Not Supported
Extended information:
The storage pool does not have sufficient eligible resources for the creation of the specified virtual disk.

Recommended Actions:
- Choose a combination of FaultDomainAwareness and NumberOfDataCopies (or PhysicalDiskRedundancy) supported by the storage pool.
- Choose a value for NumberOfColumns that is less than or equal to the number of physical disks in the storage fault domain selected for the virtual disk.

Activity ID: {ab76aed4-8089-427c-a3ec-298cb00f8582}
At line:1 char:1
+ New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "MainPool" -FriendlyName "Ma ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...SFT_StoragePool) [New-VirtualDisk], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 1,New-VirtualDisk

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
I just found a guide that mentions creating an ReFS volume instead of a disk, that seems to have worked for me.

The Command used was:

Code:
New-Volume -FriendlyName "MainStorage" -FileSystem ReFS -StoragePoolFriendlyName "MainPool" -StorageTierFriendlyNames SSD_Tier, HDD_Tier -StorageTierSizes 72GB, 18TB -WriteCacheSize 12GB
Sauce

Connorise

Mar 2, 2017
US. Cambridge
Please note that Mirror-Accelerated Parity configuration is only officially supported in S2D setup, not in standalone storage spaces. While it can technically be assembled that way, Microsoft officially does not support it, and it was developed for S2D. That being said, ensure you have a good backup plan if you are running anything critical.

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
This is effectively the commands i used.

Code:
New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "MainPool" -FriendlyName SSD_Tier -MediaType SSD -ResiliencySettingName Mirror

New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "MainPool" -FriendlyName HDD_Tier -MediaType HDD -ResiliencySettingName Parity

$ssd_tier = get-StorageTier -FriendlyName "SSD_Tier"
$hdd_tier = get-StorageTier -FriendlyName "HDD_Tier"

New-Volume -FriendlyName "MainStorage" -FileSystem ReFS -StoragePoolFriendlyName "MainPool" -StorageTierFriendlyNames SSD_Tier, HDD_Tier -StorageTierSizes 70GB, 20.1TB -WriteCacheSize 40GB
In a three tier space with NVMe, SSD, and HDD the first argument in -StorageTierSizes controls the SSD read cache; and -WriteCacheSize controls the NVMe write cache.