How do you organize rack?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Diavuno

I missed this post :D

you can do DIY cheaply than buy on the shelf...

you need time to learning and gathering sensors and brush out to learn lua programming or ESP8266 arduino style
cheap way: ESP8266 ( WIFI is included :)).
getting to know on i2c and spi are the key :p

if you need many I/O, Arduino still the best, I picked learning arduino for 2 weeks with getting familiar in sensor/control and hunting cheap clone arduino/sensor on ebay :D

if you are hate DIY, buying on the shelf is an alternate. ITwatchdogs is pretty solid device to do monitoring on my experience

Actually love DIY!

Problem is I lack time... and for most build outs I get something odd the shelf and pretty for clients. the IT watchdog LOOKS good and if it fails I can point to them, not the arduino I build in my basement.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
top to bottom, pdu(s), switch(es), KVM, 1u/2u servers, UPS at bottom if any 4u storage they are at the bottom.

Have done switches and KVMs in the middle as well. Typically config is done for a multi rack cluster config so everything is about desired cable routes.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Actually love DIY!

Problem is I lack time... and for most build outs I get something odd the shelf and pretty for clients. the IT watchdog LOOKS good and if it fails I can point to them, not the arduino I build in my basement.
True, time is crucial.

Arduino never let me down, the code that I wrote could be , hahaha..

if you have basement, you do not worry on noise and heat since basement usually has lower temperature in average with humidity env control.

Arduino, DIY embedded are just my hobbies to lower down pressure and stress :D. I used to play with 8051(they still selling this today) with asm/C lang.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Right now it's all kind of messy with wiring and stuff. There is about 25 CAT6 wires coming into rack.

How those racks usually organized? Is there certain preference from top to bottom?

Another thing is patch panels. What are they for? Should I get one? Right now I just crimp connectors on all cables. Any suggestions on organizing and making it more manageable - welcome.

Any tips/handly materials for organizing wires and stuff? I just got some velcro online, but maybe there is specialized accessories that can make it all look better?
I organize my racks in a rather unusual manner. First, I use 23" (telco) racks with reducers for 19" equipment. This gives me extra space to the sides of the equipment. I use 4 pairs of rails (front / back / two in between) to deal with varying equipment depths. These rails are 12-24 (telco) threaded. No square holes (I hate 'em). I always leave 1 rack unit between pieces of equipment. If you've ever worked in a rack where somebody stacked 40 1RU servers on top of each other, you'll know why. :eek:

No matter how deep your cabinet is, someone will make a device that is deeper. I've seen equipment that won't fit in a 48" deep cabinet, for example. But the manufacturer proudly claims that it is only 1 RU. For these cases I use offsets (as you can see in the second picture) to increase the apparent depth of the rear rails.

Depending on the application, I may or may not use patch panels. In the pictured setup (in my house) the only patch panel is for the serial console server, since the Cisco async module has high-density connectors on it. The CAT 5 cables are directly terminated with RJ45 plugs (I make my own cables to length). The cables you see on the front of the switches are a variety of in-cabinet (black) and external (blue) cables. Telco connections (there are 24 ports of VoIP on the Cisco router) are terminated on Krone blocks.

For cable management I use Panduit vertical cable management rings and Velcro cable ties. I also make my power cords to length, and power cords and async console cables are run on the other side of the cabinet from the Panduit rings. I like Chatsworth brackets for this (they are lightly scalloped between the cable tie slots), but the flat Panduit ones are just as good.

Last edited:

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Seems there aren't a lot of people with lots of patch panels in here.
But I guess in a home this isn't as prevalent? That is where I find things get messy.

At a small office I currently I have 4 x 48 port patch panels in a rack, with 2 x 52 port switches (2 for stacking) and soon enough will have to add 2 more switches to the stack. They are access layer switches. I have them setup in the "waterfall" style. They are currently in the same rack with all my other gear. They are at the top and the wires run along a ladder above and come into the rack on the side. If I have to add any more to this I'd move them to their own 2 post relay rack, get another PDU and run to the relay rack from the 4 post which has a large 6k Tripp Lite UPS.

So I would say patch panel/switches at top, along with router/firewall/gateway stuff, UPS at bottom, servers below networking gear and above UPS.

Some people like to put switches and patch panels in the back of the rack. I personally don't do it because of how my racks are designed. I feel that the vertical PDU's would get in the way, and I don't like working in the back near power cords that could potentially be pulled out. Although I do see the advantage (that space typically is useless since a lot of this equipment is short depth).

I do have a question for those that use KVM's. What are you using them for? Why not use remote IP management (IPMI, SSH, Web based, etc)? Just curious because I don't really use it anymore.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Some people like to put switches and patch panels in the back of the rack. I personally don't do it because of how my racks are designed. I feel that the vertical PDU's would get in the way, and I don't like working in the back near power cords that could potentially be pulled out. Although I do see the advantage (that space typically is useless since a lot of this equipment is short depth).

I do have a question for those that use KVM's. What are you using them for? Why not use remote IP management (IPMI, SSH, Web based, etc)? Just curious because I don't really use it anymore.
I do put on the back since having long-depth rack :D.
this saves space since short-depth 1U server is on the front :p...
this on going process to make neat cabling ( left side is power cables, and right side is ethernet cables)

KVM is easy when working in front of the rack..
IPMI is a must when doing remotely
Both have different purposes :D

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
KVM is easy when working in front of the rack..
IPMI is a must when doing remotely
Both have different purposes :D
It just seems like KVM's can create a mess of wires and can add up. Put a cheap laptop with IPMI software on a pullout shelf if you want to work standing at the rack. Less cables, that's for sure.

Personally, I'm to lazy to stand at the rack, to cheap to buy a real nice KVM setup, don't enjoy the noise or the temperature. So I'd just go sit down outside the server room and use my laptop and IPMI before bothering with the KVM. Even if the server room was right next to me, that is what I'd prefer to do.

Reactions: canta

canta

Nov 26, 2014
It just seems like KVM's can create a mess of wires and can add up. Put a cheap laptop with IPMI software on a pullout shelf if you want to work standing at the rack. Less cables, that's for sure.

Personally, I'm to lazy to stand at the rack, to cheap to buy a real nice KVM setup, don't enjoy the noise or the temperature. So I'd just go sit down outside the server room and use my laptop and IPMI before bothering with the KVM.
try to talk to whoever is working on system admin/network/infrastructure :D.
They would disagree at you.
KVM is still the best when doing "emergency" situation and quick visit to verify this and that.

just my experience.
Honestly, modern server is less noise due on efficiency on power consumption and less heat.
I was surprised when someone in my department install Dell 2U servers ( we already blacklist using Lenovo due on their business practice that involving IBM (sold server X to Lenovo), where we lost all "IBM" X server due on lenovo bought IBM server X. the up-level decided to blacklist:p).
Basically IBM blame on Lenovo, and Lenovo blame on IBM, what a soap opera drama.
*sorry for my rant*
noise is OK in open-frame rack in the lab (not ok for home-use).
on the comparison, my old machine Core 2 Duo make louder noise.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
try to talk to whoever is working on system admin/network/infrastructure :D.
They would disagree at you.
KVM is still the best when doing "emergency" situation and quick visit to verify this and that.
just my experience.
I'm the person who does all sysadmin, networking, infrastructure, power, and so on. So I'd be talking to myself. :)

From what I've seen, sysadmins are "lazy" and rather sit then get up. Datacenters are still extremely noisy and cold from what I've seen. I'm betting KVM's aren't nearly as prevalent anymore in datacenters. If they are, I'd bet they are IP based ones, which starts to add up when you already have IPMI available. For home use, I'll plug a monitor in on the off chance I need to. Nothing is THAT dire I can't take 10 minutes to hook something up. I've never had issue getting at a machine quickly with IPMI though.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I'm the person who does all sysadmin, networking, infrastructure, power, and so on. So I'd be talking to myself. :)

From what I've seen, sysadmins are "lazy" and rather sit then get up. Datacenters are still extremely noisy and cold from what I've seen. I'm betting KVM's aren't nearly as prevalent anymore in datacenters. If they are, I'd bet they are IP based ones, which starts to add up when you already have IPMI available. For home use, I'll plug a monitor in on the off chance I need to. Nothing is THAT dire I can't take 10 minutes to hook something up. I've never had issue getting at a machine quickly with IPMI though.
glad to know.
I am not talking data-center in general, but on company that has servers are scattering around in the labs :D.
they do enjoy KVM a lot on my understanding

as far as talking with them with different people in my jobs. they love KVM...

if you are talking data-center, your scenario would be ideal,

KVM is easy, just go to the rack, pull Keyboard-monitor drawer, done.

I had to use relied on KVM on my previous works :D when all machines are not connected to networks due on security reasons.

as I said on my previous post: KVM and remote (IPMI and the gang) have different purposes.

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
Yup.. we still have to run KVM's at my work due to different level networks and the associated security. And with the new cyber security laws, we've also had to replace those KVMs with new ones that have a data diode in them so that no potential USB hacks can occur across levels.

Reactions: canta

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Guys, any pointers on organizing this half-rack at my office? See picture. We have LAN wall jacks on a left that go to all of the end clients.

Currently on rack (front) from top to bottom:
1. Shelf (I plan to put ATT modem and old router repurposed for WiFi AP. Also 8 port PoE)
2. Mikrotik router (TODO - will move from shelf)
3. Horizontal cable organizer (TODO)
4. CISCO switch (not used right now)
5-6. Storage
-- Here I may have more server(s) in future. Nothing in plans now
20-23. Server
24-25. UPS

Back of rack:
1. Power strip

Questions:
1. I'd like to know how would YOU organize it? I'd like to see front's of router and switch..
2. I'd like to plug power strip (I got one without surge protector) to UPS. I know it's not good, but I need it for modem, wifi, PoE, etc. Not power-hungry but many plugs..

Main problem is to make it without wire mess in most efficient manner. PoE is another problem, not sure where to "stick" it :)

Attachments

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
1. I'd like to know how would YOU organize it? I'd like to see front's of router and switch.
Take a look at my earlier reply #24 to this thread. Heavy stuff (UPS and larger servers) at the bottom, then smaller servers, then switches and routers.
2. I'd like to plug power strip (I got one without surge protector) to UPS. I know it's not good, but I need it for modem, wifi, PoE, etc. Not power-hungry but many plugs.
Look for a used APC AP9210/AP9211. It is a rackmount, surge protected outlet strip with 8 switchable outlets. You can get these cheaply on eBay if you wait ($12.50 for an AP9210/$20 for an AP9211). However, only use it as an outlet strip - don't connect a network or serial cable to it. These units have serious security flaws in their management cards which will let anyone log in if there's a connection they can use. These count as an APC product, even though they're obsolete, so if your UPS has the APC equipment protection guarantee, it will apply without any concerns on the part of APC. These units have 4 regular duplex outlets, so you can't plug "wall wart" power supplies into adjacent outlets. There are short (6") extension cords called "outlet savers" that you can use if you have a lot of these supplies, at the risk of being laughed at for the dangling wall warts.
PoE is another problem, not sure where to "stick" it :)
For rackmount PoE, I like the PowerDsine PD-90xxG series. They support everything from pre-standard PoE to the latest and can be found very inexpensively (< $50) on eBay if you wait. They come in 6/12/24 port versions (that's the "xx" in the model number). If you want Ethernet management, make sure you get one with the M suffix (like "PD-9024G/ACDC/M"). Be sure you get the rack ears with the unit - they're unobtainable otherwise. Also, there's a very good chance that the faceplate will break off if the seller doesn't package the unit really well. If you need the firmware for either the management card or the PoE card, I can send those to you.

Note that this is a PoE injector, not a switch, so you still need a switch in the rack to feed non-PoE Ethernet into the unit.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Thank you for reply! I'm not buying any other stuff now :)
I have power strip already. Got simple one without surge protector just because I connect it to UPS. And UPS is off eBay, so no warranty and worries :))

For PoE - I already have tiny 8 port one and it works(should see it on picture above Mikrotik router on shelf)). I guess I will put switch in #2 and velcro PoE right above it - so 8 ports will align with switch and look good :-\

How do you make power cables to size? I think I'd like to do that.
I will be making LAN cables to size as well. How do you route cables from switch to back of server for example? Server's if on rails need longer cables so you can pull server out, right? But then those cables will be hanging :)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
For PoE - I already have tiny 8 port one and it works(should see it on picture above Mikrotik router on shelf)). I guess I will put switch in #2 and velcro PoE right above it - so 8 ports will align with switch and look good :-\
That's what I like about the Catalyst 4948 / PowerDsine 9000 - all of the odd-numbered ports line up perfectly. This is a cabine I'm in the middle of setting up for a non-profit:

How do you make power cables to size? I think I'd like to do that.
Chop off the plug ends and put new plugs from the home center on. It gets a bit more complicated with the newer APC power strips as they moved the outlets too close together. So I use some rather-hard-to-come-by square plugs. Here's that same non-profit:

Yellow and orange are A and B feeds for equipment with dual power, gray is for units with single power.
I will be making LAN cables to size as well. How do you route cables from switch to back of server for example? Server's if on rails need longer cables so you can pull server out, right? But then those cables will be hanging :)
I intentionally don't make arrangements for pulling my servers while still cabled - there is too much of a risk of bouncing the disk drives.

My racks have (as a minimum) rails on the front and back. I use vertical cable management rings on the back (as you can see in post #24). I then gather all of the network cables up and feed them from the back to the front of the rack at switch height. I use Velcro cable straps to keep everything neat.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Chop off the plug ends and put new plugs from the home center on. It gets a bit more complicated with the newer APC power strips as they moved the outlets too close together. So I use some rather-hard-to-come-by square plugs.
And where do I find them? :) What keywords should I use because nothing comes up on Amazon/eBay for searches I'm entering..
"110v AC power plug"

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
For PDUs I prefer IEC sockets (C13/4, C19/20). Easy to get off-the-shelf cables in sensible lengths, smaller form-factor. Zero-U C13 down each side at the back for each feed, 1/2U C19 for anything requiring meatier supplies.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
For PDUs I prefer IEC sockets (C13/4, C19/20). Easy to get off-the-shelf cables in sensible lengths, smaller form-factor. Zero-U C13 down each side at the back for each feed, 1/2U C19 for anything requiring meatier supplies.
The problem with the IEC sockets is they don't prevent plugging mismatched 120V and 240V devices in. The NEMA plugs for 120 / 240 are different. Not a big problem if you're working in a home / small business environment, but if you're in a datacenter where you use "remote hands", this can lead to exciting "kablam" noises accompanied by the magic smoke.

The issue is that not everything with an IEC plug has an auto-ranging power supply. In addition to overvoltage on a supply designed for 120V, plugging a 240V switching supply into a 120V source will probably be insufficient to get the switcher oscillating. That's where most of the smoke comes from.

While replacement IEC plugs / receptacles for user termination are available, they're a real PITA and I'd rather not use them any more than I have to. [I installed a surround sound system for a client who had recessed-in-wall "clock outlet" style receptacles which were too small for replacement plugs, so I had to shorten the IEC ends of the cables instead.]