How do you name your servers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wow! I need to adopt this. Currently I'm still doing descriptive names of either the hardware or application they are running. What a cool thread! Hoping to get some ideas.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
WEBPROD01 is so boring. SQLDEV02 is worse! FS01 is just wrong. SPOINT01 is abhorrent. DC01 is plain unimaginative. While the name of the planet can be a hint, I use the Computer description field for describing the primary role. For example, Dune and Arrakis would be Domain Controllers. Rossak would be the mail/spam filter.
Wow! I need to adopt this. Currently I'm still doing descriptive names of either the hardware or application they are running. What a cool thread! Hoping to get some ideas.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I do a planet in our solar system based on size. Then add a sequential number.
Pluto = ARM
Mercury = ITX and smaller server and media players.
Mars = Network equipment and other misc IP devices
Venus = 1U
Earth = 2U, my most common
Neptune = 3U
Uranus = 4U
Saturn = Tower
Jupiter = 5U+

Examples of usage
Built my 157th on 1/1/2013 2U so it is earth157
Bought a huge 7U storage chassis which was a bad idea in the day. jupiter8
Have a half depth Supermicro pfsense squid proxy mars131

good thread idea

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
When I was with the State of Ohio for 8 years, we named all our servers after US cities.
I have a funny story, and a true one at that.
I was in Operations Meeting, reporting on the status of some upgrades. I actually used this in a sentence "I did Bend, Dover and Bangor last night"

Thatguy

Dec 30, 2012
Descriptive names.

It's nice for myself, and others to be able to determine somethings purpose by the reverse DNS entry, without having to reference a spreadsheet, etc.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
In the lab:

Test machines have names indicating location Test rack 1 DL380g7 would look something like TR1DL380G7a This made ilo naming easier as well... just tack on I to the front.

Production machines on the other hand were named after characters in the star trek universe.
And from all over...

Data, Phlox, Neelix, Picard, Riker, Seven, Archer...

Compile boxes are based on their OS...
rhel5u8x64 etc...

Personal builds:

Generally based on a characteristic of the build.
Either architecture or physical part.

first 64bit box was X-64
first dual-core X2-64
first quad X4-64 (sometimes R2 or R3 was added depending on how many rebuilds I was in...)

RavenV3 is my current build... wanna guess my case?

Now... I do pick special names for specific purpose machines (read not daily driver)
for instance I have a dedicated Folding box.
It is an overclocked watercooled AMD G34 4p (4x 12c) I call it [H]arbringer (a combination of harbinger and hard bringer) I call it the Hard Omen.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Wow that AMD machine must be fast and use lotsa power. How did you overclock?

I use a numbered sequence 0000103 was the latest device. I thought by now we would have more devices and go though a thousand a year.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I like to use descriptive initialisms, TT - Test Target, TC - Test Client, LD - LinuxDesktop, etc., that I then end up forgetting what they meant a few weeks later. Or random names like bouncer(Firewall/IDS/IPS), supertanker(larger storage server), or code(VM I used to code on...).

GoldenBigun

Jan 16, 2013
I have a passion for flowers as one of natures most beautiful, diverse, and complex creations.

orchidaceae is my latest. Long names don't bother me.

Last edited:

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
I used to use Egyptian mythology like Anubis and Osiris etc, but since I don't have that many servers I've switched to just using things like "TV-Server", "Mediaserver" etc

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I'm with you - I lean toward using more interesting names - at last I used to do so. Many years ago one of my teams started a minor revolt when I set the naming theme for the company to be authors, specifically my favorite authors... some of which proved to be a bit obscure and/or difficult to pronounce properly. I gave in and handed over naming rights to someone else. I won't list all of the authors, but I think it was the pronunciation of Borges that triggered the revolt. Shoulda gone with Star Wars planets instead!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm with you - I lean toward using more interesting names - at last I used to do so. Many years ago one of my teams started a minor revolt when I set the naming theme for the company to be authors, specifically my favorite authors... some of which proved to be a bit obscure and/or difficult to pronounce properly. I gave in and handed over naming rights to someone else. I won't list all of the authors, but I think it was the pronunciation of Borges that triggered the revolt. Shoulda gone with Star Wars planets instead!
So what are they named now?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Descriptive names.

It's nice for myself, and others to be able to determine somethings purpose by the reverse DNS entry, without having to reference a spreadsheet, etc.
I realize this is a home server/DIY kind of forum, but I'm so used to the security mindset where its best to have the exact opposite method: system numbers or unrelated words that reveal nothing about the purpose of the system.

On a really small network it doesn't matter, but even in enterprise you will see lots of fun nicknames. Its a small thing but every bit helps and if that means only your people know 'BobsYourUncle' is the domain controller on a segment then all the better.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
So what are they named now?
Now, on my own network, I am free to choose any names that I want! Have I once again gone crazy with author names like Eco, Perec, or Ballard? The names of spices?, Cities?, Famous rivers? or any other of the themes from prior data centers?

No. I'm afraid that I've gotten boring. I now worry more about keeping track of VMs than I once did about security through obscurity so I have settled - without really thinking about it - on machines named after the applications that they run. Yawn!

Not that I gave it any real thought, but it does make good sense in hindsight. In the "old days" we'd try to run multiple apps on each server in order to get decent utilization. In that model, it made sense for the machines to have "identities" that were different than the apps they ran. Now that everything but the very largest apps are virtualized - and the VMs die when the apps they run are killed - it doesn't seem nearly as necessary to give servers their own identities.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I realize this is a home server/DIY kind of forum, but I'm so used to the security mindset where its best to have the exact opposite method: system numbers or unrelated words that reveal nothing about the purpose of the system.

On a really small network it doesn't matter, but even in enterprise you will see lots of fun nicknames. Its a small thing but every bit helps and if that means only your people know 'BobsYourUncle' is the domain controller on a segment then all the better.
So do you just give everything random names and words? Just sit and type something?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Everything in my home network has a name somehow related to pigs...there is no rhyme nor reason to the names, but every one of them has something to do with piggery. Bigpig, littlepig, trough, barnyard, mud, whatever.

The pig fetish is not mine - it is my wife's. But as the old saying goes - what interests my love fascinates me.

Amusingly, it also mostly satisfies Aluminum's recommendation for randomness.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
I tend to draw from mythology, as a lot of people I know do... apollo for a music/subsonic server, dionysus for an xbmc box, ogmios for a wiki VM, things like that. Makes it easier for me to keep track of what does what, and I discover a little bit more about history/mythology each time I go searching for an appropriate name :)

If I'm rapidly testing VMs for a purpose or trying different configs I will just use descriptive names, however - I'd lose track of what was what too quickly otherwise.

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
At home I go with Asimov's Foundation universe. Servers are all planet names and clients are all characters. Plenty of variety and I can pick ones that align with their functions.