How do you guys feel about HP?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Hey,

I am thinking of going with some HP Procurves instead of maybe Juniper just because there is such a large selection and availability. I know some people live to destroy HPs and others love them, can I ask your opinion on ProCurve switches, primarily theses one's! HP J9022A ProCurve 2810-48G Managed Ethernet Switch 48x Gb Ethernet 4x SFP

Thanks,
Nils
I like the lower-end HP switches because the price is right, the reliability is great, the CLI isn't that hard to learn... and most have a 99 year or lifetime warranty. I'm pretty sure that the 2810 has the good warranty, so you can't go wrong for $130.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
for me, HP products are good, but they are a little expensive. So i often choose the third party brands which are compatible with HP from Fiberstore.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Not sure if any of you have used Juniper but could you compare the two? I'm not terribly fond of CLI so a decent web interface is preferable.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Most managed L2-4 enterprise level switches have the option of both CLI and Web based configuration. I usually prefer using the CLI and turning off the Web interface. JunOS is not really any more difficult to get the hang of than Cisco's IOS or HP's variant. They all have their quirks and syntax no matter what method you choose to configure them and they all have tool chains for centralised management should that be required :)

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Low end switching is not rocket science. HP has a great warranty and the switches work well.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
How is the noise on the 2810-24 home use? I was actually looking for 1810g-24 but found one one here for local pickup and will be getting it today. Got it for $34. I may have to get replacement from HP as the seller listed it as one of the ports do not work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
The 2810-xxG units are a little louder than you would want right next to you, esp if they are used and the bearings on the fans are getting old. Could probably swap the fans out but I have never attempted, they are downstairs and out of earshot.
All except one (bought used, had fans that got clogged up with dust) are more quiet than the Juniper ex-3300's
The 1810g-24 is silent - no fans. I have 2 in my office just for connecting up to test bench things. Basic web ui but enough to set up a static VLAN or 2.
The 1800-24g's have a single fan, but it runs slow if not hot and no louder than a laptop fan in general.

Feature wise, the Junipers are in a class and price bracket way above the HP Procurves, being 2 or 3 generations more recent and having 10G baked into the Broadcom switch ASIC. The 2810-xx have a decent CLI - I have at least a dozen deployed in Colos and home. The web interface is crap however, needing java plugins and other BS. Too slow even if you bother to play with security settings to get it working. They also don't handle high packet rates well (4 gig ports maxed out with 1316 byte packets 24x7 for video causes drops depending on where you put the ports in the switch), but that isn't a problem for normal use.

Slazy

Apr 10, 2016
If you want to go with Juniper the ex2200 isn't really that loud and fan replacement is really easy because just 3 pin fans, the other series are abit louder since they are high performance switches and some even have SPF+ (ex3300).

Never used HP switches but alot of people are font of them, also they have nice warranties.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don't know juniper but HP has been much preferred for us in factory installs since they are way tougher than Cisco and just do what they need to do for a really long time.

At home I am thinking my next switch will actually be HP they seems to have the right combination of features, price, power consumption (fanless in the case of the models I am considering).

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Edge switches are decent and usually fairly cheap...they make up for it on the optics (shop elsewhere and save yourself a ton). Their core switches solid but personally I hate the comware cli (syntaxing is something to be desirable). I've heard good things about the new Aruba gear but haven't played with any yet.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just replaced a LB4M with a ProCurve 1810G-24. My rack is now noticeably quieter. Also, it came with OLD firmware. Upgrading the firmware was easy. Draws way less power than the LB4M did. What's not to love? :)

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
I have 2810s with what looks like old firmware. How could i upgrade?