How do you all monitor temperature and humidity?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
While I move everything to my new garage data center, it occurs to me that I won't see/hear my servers very often. So if the heat starts going off the charts, I won't have any idea...

So what do you all use to monitor your temperature and humidity? I'm considering this option:
Amazon.com: La Crosse Alerts Mobile 926-25101-GP Wireless Monitor System Set with Dry Probe: Home & Kitchen

It's very cheap, but has mixed reviews. I just want something to give me alerts and I'll pay $1 a month for the monitoring. Thoughts?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Depending on what UPS you use it may have that functionality available. The APC Smart-UPS management cards have either temp or temp and humidity, it will send out emails if it reaches thresholds.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Room environmentals are reported by my APC UPS (or - more precisely - by the network card plugged into the UPS).

I also monitor all the server sensors I can via IPMI and/or SNMP (for switches).

I use Zabbix to collect it all and report if things get seriously out of whack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
BTW - the APC card has connections for two sensors. In your case you could get the second one and monitor hot-side/cold-side seperately.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
BTW - the APC card has connections for two sensors. In your case you could get the second one and monitor hot-side/cold-side seperately.
APC has a number of different cards. AP9618 / AP9619 only works with older UPS models and has support for 1 probe (temp/humidity or temp only), as well as some dry contact / relay outputs. AP9618 adds a modem that AP9619 doesn't have. Probes are AP9512T or AP9512TH (temp or temp / humidity). BLK suffix indicates black color, otherwise beige. AP9631 is the modern APC card, works with more UPS models including newer ones, and has 2 universal (UIO) ports which can be temp or temp / humidity probes (AP9335T / AP9335TH) or a dry contact probe (AP9810). The Dell part number for the AP9335TH probe is H621N and is often less expensive than the APC variant (if you can find it).

If you have an APC UPS, you can also monitor the runtime, load, etc. and get email notifications from the card. You can also make nice graphs:

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Room environmentals are reported by my APC UPS (or - more precisely - by the network card plugged into the UPS).

I also monitor all the server sensors I can via IPMI and/or SNMP (for switches).

I use Zabbix to collect it all and report if things get seriously out of whack.

Here too zabbix and snmp to monitor just about everything from switches to servers