How do i turn on NX360 M4 in Lenovo NextScale N1200 chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I just picked up the Lenovo NextScale N1200 6U blade and populated it with NX360 M4 and NX360 M5 server nodes but it is showing rapidly blinking green light.
When i press the power button, nothing happens. Everything seems fine. The fans work, the power supplies shows working and fine. I can not see anything wrong, but the rapidly blinking green light and i can not turn on these server nodes

Anyone with experience with these servers? How do i turn these servers on?

The reasons given here Lenovo NeXtScale Documentation does not include that the server should have necessary things populated

• Flashing rapidly
    : The LED flashes rapidly for the following reasons:
    • The compute node has been installed in a chassis. When you install the compute node, the LED flashes rapidly for up to 90 seconds while the integrated management module (IMM2.1) in the compute node is initializing.
    • The NeXtScale n1200 Enclosure does not have enough power to turn on the compute node.
    • The IMM2.1 in the compute node is not communicating with the Chassis Management Module.

The half 2U server node with everything CPU, MEMORY and STORAGE

but it is still rapidly blinking green

what is causing this? why cant these blade server just work like other blade servers? it is rocket science to get anything to work with this nextscale N1200 blade server

Please see picture below to show all looks good but still rapidly blinking green and can NOT power on the server node at all

Attachments

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
I'm not familiar with the Lenovo chassis but from the HPE C7000 experience. Try taking all but one blade out, it could be a power load issue where it thinks it needs more power. Check the power redundancy options. It may need a minimum of so many power supplies connected. In the C7000, with the VC Flex network modules, the blades have to have a network profile applied before they can be powered on.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
All the 6 power supplies each 1300 watts are connected as can be seen in the screenshots above
I have tried this with just 1 server node inserted and it is same issue. Matter of fact i decided to add a second server just incase that one had an issue

So all looks good regarding power, all 6 are connected

It has been frustrating to say the least and no way to get support or anyone to ask except in the forums here

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I fixed it!!!
It happened to be the voltage used in power supply
I switched to use 200-220 volt and it works now

This is insane. What helped me was i saw this error in event log and checked it and it said must use 200-220 volt for the 1300 watt power supplies

lenovo_n1200_nx360_m4_10.png