How do I compare enterprise access point firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Riftor

Nov 29, 2019
I am looking for an enterprise grade wireless access point for my home. My criteria are that it must support multiple VLANs, work well with PFSense, and not require controller software. I am staying away from Ubiquiti.

I would like to compare the look and features of user interfaces of different wireless access points before I make a purchase. Everything spending hours on YouTube, is there a place where I can find this information?

Thanks.

Riftor

Nov 29, 2019
Is there any resource that compares the four brands?

Also, thank you for the link. Does the person who started the thread still give out licenses?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Is there any resource that compares the four brands?
You can probably find comparisons between any two but you'll have to search them out... Gartner might have somethign basic.

here's a quick hit though on handy dandy features.:

Ruckus - Unleashed firmware and firmware updates are free as in beer - so long as you are willing to give them (Ruckus/Commscope) an email address that can be validated for the login. IMO a very small price to pay given throw-away accounts are easy to get.
If coupled with the right brocade switch (7150,7250 for sure) you get some tie in to the unleashed management page though I have not played with that yet. Some AP models can also do lag if you are into that sort of thing.

Meraki - cloud managed infrastructure, works, designed for mostly non technical people to get good management/feature mix. Tends to be expensive and/or maintenance required

Aruba Instant On - I don't really know a whole lot about this.

Cisco Mobility Express - you will have to search for firmware in the dark recesses of the Internet-webs, its find-able, but you are violating all kinds of laws (copyright/theft of service) or so "they" say by "stealing software" . Also I have heard a kitten dies every time someone downloads cisco router code - but that could be an old wives tale.

Okay so more seriously. Read the Ruckus thread ... see what folks think who left UBQ... Mapping SSID's to VLAN's is brain-dead simple. Supports 1:1 SSID to VLAN or N:1 SSID to VLAN if you need that too. Periodically a treasure trove of Ruckus R710's find their way to the bay and sell for 210-250 each - you'll see that in the thread. There are older models as well and a variety of models by use case, indoor, outdoor etc.

the antenna technology is REALLY good.and seems to cut through the ever present horde of SSID's that we are now plagued with. My iphone will still be connected to my network from outside and half a block down the street. Then again I have 3 AP's.

I used to run a Cisco WLC and 3 AP's. They're in a box in my basement now.

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
Cisco's new small business line the CBW240ac look real nice. They are inexpensive and have free firmware support for the life of the product. They have QoS settings for running voice over Wi-Fi for roaming. I run Cisco's WAP581 wireless APs right now with good roaming results. These wireless APs that do not require a controller as the controller is built-in and self-healing. The clustering software is called SinglePoint setup. You setup the first one and the additional APs inherit the cluster settings. I guess I left out these Cisco wireless APs have a GUI wizard for easy setup and configuration. They are dead simple to setup.

I am an old network guy having been retired 12 years. Being old I am not a cloud guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin