How can I establish VPN connection to home? Which affordable router to get?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Hi. I intend to help setup vpn for a relative. He has fiber connection to home, current modem in bridge mode. I have the same setup, and I'm using Sophos XG Firewall, and I was able to follow some guide to setup OpenVPN connection to Sophos XG Firewall (home) from ios, android, MacOS. He isn't quite technically inclined, hence, I want a simple router (just power cycle when a problem arises) to handle VPN, from android, ios, MacOS, and possibly, Windows.

Can anyone help confirm if it is possible to do what I want with TP-Link R600VPN? TL-R600VPN | SafeStream Gigabit Broadband VPN Router | TP-Link Philippines

What other alternatives? Router without AP is best, cheaper, and it will be locked up in power room, so no wifi signal required. Plan to deploy Unifi AC Lites for the whole house.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
First none of these options will give you anything near a gigabit of traffic over the VPN. The R600 should work fine to use as a VPN endpoint at home just look to see what clients they have. You could always buy a cheap DD-WRT supported router (turn off the wifi) set that up for them and then have them use that. You can also get a SBC like the raspberry pi or the NanoPi R2S and run something like PIVPN.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@Nnyan , the internet is currently at 100 Mbps only, so not an issue. Will look into the Raspberry Pi options. Thanks!

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
An openvpn linux box would work well too, you'd just need to port forward the VPN port you want.
If you have any kind of home lab, VM, docker, or other equipment you could easily build a linux box if you needed a bit more throughput (depending on your hardware).

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@Spartacus , I agree. The house has Unraid NAS I set up. But it's exactly the reason I need to VPN in, to access the NAS, when problem arises. So docker app on the NAS is not an option.

I'm still figuring out how a raspberry pi 3B can function as a vpn server on the home. Wouldn't that require 2 ports? Gigabit at that.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
No you’re think of a router that would require 2 ports, a VPN box only needs 1 and the port forwarding as mentioned.