Houston, TX Local Pickup - Dell VRTX Tower /w x3 M630 1.8" Barebone Blades, x2 Dell MD1220 x1 Dell Equallogic PS4100, 2 out of 3 shelves have drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
timestamps: Vrtx and md1220 and ps4100 - Google Drive

My listings get too exhaustive, gonna try to keep this short. Please read the description closely so you know what you're getting/what I'm selling.

Dell VRTX Tower
  • Tower config, 25xSFF, rails included if you wish to convert to rack orientation, clean condition inside/out w minor scratches on right-side
  • CMC Enterprise License
  • x2 SPERC8, x2 Expanders, x2 CMC, x6 Internal Fans, x4 Blowers, x4 PSU, x1 R1-2401 1Gb Switch Module
  • x4 1TB Dell SAS HDD (Seagate), x8 600GB Dell SAS HDD (Toshiba) + 5 spare drive caddies + rest blanks
  • x3 Dell M630 4x1.8" Barebones blades, each includes 2x Heatsinks, H730 Raid (supports RAID + Passthrough mode), 57810S NDC, SD Riser, iDRAC8 Enterprise License - these are working pulls
  • For those who aren't super familiar /w VRTX, the blades will work as-is if you install CPU + RAM however you will need 2x Dell P/N 3N9XX mezzanine cards in each blade to take advantage of the shared storage
  • $1600 $1300 local pickup only in Houston area, UPS/Fedex ground is out of the question due to weight
  • You can arrange logistics /w freight company at your expense. I have a pallet but you will need to arrange for a freight shipper to pack it as I don't have metal strapping tools. I can drop the VRTX + pallet off.
Disk Shelves
I have 1 bezel for the MD1220s and a set of rails that will work with either of these models. I will include the rails with the purchase of whoever buys a shelf first, and if you're one of the initial buyers for an MD1220 I'll throw in the bezel I have.

QTY 1 - Dell MD1220 24xSFF Disk Shelf /w Drives
  • x2 Controllers, x2 PSU included, updated to latest firmware 1.06
  • x24 Dell SAS 600GB HDD /w trays
  • $300 local pickup, shipping at buyer's expense
QTY 1 - Dell MD1220 24xSFF Disk Shelf /w Trays only
  • x2 Controllers, x2 PSU included, updated to latest firmware 1.06
  • x24 Dell SAS 600GB HDD /w trays
  • $300 local pickup
QTY 1 - Dell Equallogic PS4100 24xSFF SAN
  • x2 Controllers, x2 PSU Included, updated to firmware v10-0-3-R469188
  • x24 trays + screws
  • bezel
  • $300 local pickup

All available for local pickup in Houston area. No trades. Cash only, no cash apps. I can meet you halfway somewhere or you can come to me. Standard shipping not available for VRTX (freight available for serious buyers if they can 'contract' a logistics company to pack it down to a pallet I have). Shipping for the shelves is probably close to ~$100 if I had to guess. I should have a big enough box to ship 2 shelves but these things are quite hefty.

Cross-posting on reddit

Last edited:
Reactions: BLinux

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
wish i was nearby. good luck with the sale! :)
I'm actually willing to ship without the blades for 1000 + cost of shipping if any interested. just made that decision today. I should have a good enough box + packing material for it to arrive safely.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
bump those blades are TIGHT yo... all i got are measly M620s and M630s for my VRTX's (yes i have 2 of them :p)

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
is the VRTX able to be run as a desktop’ish? or are the fans ungodly loud?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Yeah, it can run as a desktop-ish. It's not really ungodly loud, but it's not super quiet. The thing is, it's engineered with blower modules that are specifically 'tuned' for an office environment. So I can't actually say it's whisper quiet. But it's not jarring to the ear. That's the main thing. There's a guy who used to post around here, WScott66 I think, who would always say he has conference calls all day with it in the same room.

My opinion is, if you don't bog it down with add in cards that require extra airflow, it stays pretty tame even when all 4 blades are on.

Last edited:

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
Man this would be cool but I'd want 630 blades instead of 830s...

I've read mixed reports, do the 2.5 bays support SATA or is it SAS only? Do non dell drives work?

How rare are the 10gb switch modules?

Lastly do you need VRTX specific blade SKUs or can you crossflash the m10000e blades to be VRTX capable?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Man this would be cool but I'd want 630 blades instead of 830s...

I've read mixed reports, do the 2.5 bays support SATA or is it SAS only? Do non dell drives work?

How rare are the 10gb switch modules?

Lastly do you need VRTX specific blade SKUs or can you crossflash the m10000e blades to be VRTX capable?
They're M630s, that was a typo.

The VRTX bays are SAS only. Non-Dell drives work.

Rare. Most of the time they're acquired by contacting sellers who list an enclosure that has one and then asking them to pull it.

There is nothing special about any of the blades that prevents them from being used across platforms, the only difference is that Dell made mezzanine cards that are specifically used as PCIe bridges to take advantage of the storage and 'generic' AIC functionality. You can use the blades as-is in the enclosure without them, but without them you can't use the storage subsystem or add-in cards because it's all engineered to use PCIe switching. There are diagrams out there that illustrate the topology if you're interested in seeing a really high level overview of how it works. It's basically an implementation of SR-IOV as well as an extension of LSI's Syncro shared storage tech if I recall correctly.