Hot swap bay screws: I officially dislike them

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For the third Saturday this year I found myself doing 100 drive-drive tray combinations. I now am a firm believer in using only three screws for SSDs.

In sets of 4-8 trays, it is not so bad. But undertakings like this seem to take 2 hours to complete by the time clean up is done.

One trend I have started to see is the removal of drive tray screws. One of the latest Supermicro servers we have has a new 2.5" tray design (on two of the 26 2.5" drive bays) that is screw-less. I did try the new trays and they are compatible with existing slots.

Likewise, I have heard that Chenbro is moving to more screw-less designs in the near future. Perhaps the next version of Intel chassis will be screw-less.

I think this will be an official main site post, however 350-400 screws per day is just about my limit. I know there are people who have greater endurance but I found my maximum.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
a year and a half ago we bought over 4000 servers with SSD's... there was not enough supply so we had to buy the servers without SSD and then add them later... 4000 * 5 * 4... @Patrick we all agree with you. everyone took a little bit of time adding SSD's to caddies.

do you have part numbers to the new trays?

Chris

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
do you have part numbers to the new trays?
I do not have the part numbers and they are in use in a DemoEval machine that there is a company on right now. Let me see if I can get a P/N tomorrow.

jgreco

Sep 7, 2013
I hear you, during manufacturing runs we will build a few hundred servers at a time, and installing screws to hot swap drive trays is the worst. One thing that will help is to at least have a powered screw driver. These guys help out at least a little in terms of time spent:

Panasonic EY7410LA2S - 3.6V Cordless Drill & Driver Kit
The Panasonics are nice but a little hard to get ahold of. Milwaukee makes a very similar tool, and it is readily available at many hardware stores, can be found for less online, and comes in various versions such as the 2101-22 with two batteries and a charger, or the 2101-20 which is just the bare tool.

In the shop we usually use these with DuraSpin 9 inch #2 EA0128 bits, also available at many hardware stores, which allow you to easily reach into nooks and crannies in a crowded server chassis. Lightly magnetized with a tool magnetizer, these are amazingly flexible,

The Supermicro trays are compatible with a #2 bit but some others aren't, and for close-up work something like a Wiha bit set works better anyways.

Screwless trays are better, yes, but if you've got to do thousands of screws, a power screwdriver doesn't "help out at least a little", they actually let you go home at the end of the day without a ruined wrist. :)

Reactions: Alfa147x

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I've always hated them. I actually used some screwless hot-swap bays on my last build because I didn't want to deal with them. Downside is, you can't get the density with the screwless cages. It's nice to see some of the manufacturers finding a way around that problem. If I had to do this stuff professionally, I'd probably be even more insane than I already am. And that's saying something!

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
For the third Saturday this year I found myself doing 100 drive-drive tray combinations. I now am a firm believer in using only three screws for SSDs.

In sets of 4-8 trays, it is not so bad. But undertakings like this seem to take 2 hours to complete by the time clean up is done.

One trend I have started to see is the removal of drive tray screws. One of the latest Supermicro servers we have has a new 2.5" tray design (on two of the 26 2.5" drive bays) that is screw-less. I did try the new trays and they are compatible with existing slots.

Likewise, I have heard that Chenbro is moving to more screw-less designs in the near future. Perhaps the next version of Intel chassis will be screw-less.

I think this will be an official main site post, however 350-400 screws per day is just about my limit. I know there are people who have greater endurance but I found my maximum.
Absolutely agree. After all, those little SSD drives aren't going to vibrate themselves free are they, and they certainly don't weight enough to require being screwed down.

Reactions: Patrick