Hot filament

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Not bad, but Inland filament from Micro Center has been my number 1 source @ 14.99 per kg. If I steer away from standard PLA, ABS, or PET, I usually go really exotic and play around with stuff from ProtoPasta or ColorFabb, which at that point I'm ignoring the cost.

Here's my latest project that I just finished:

I 3D Printed a "Wood" Violin and Stained it.
No tax, free shipping and the company seems to be of the maker culture themselves kinda got me sold.
But I will definitely compare quality of the MicroCenter fillament now.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
It looks like a good deal. I have bought some PETG from them and been happy with the resulting prints. I don't think I've ever paid more than about $25/kg for it though. Buying it for $30/lb is nuts. I've used eSun from intservo.com and Maker Geeks. Both work well, have good tolerance, no voids or debris that I've noticed.

I love PETG, it prints well, is pretty tough, minimal warping, and I don't have to vacuum seal it to prevent moisture issues. It can be a bit stringy, but overall it's not bad and the strings usually clear off with a swipe of the finger. Increasing retraction a little can help there. It also seems to do better with a lower ambient temperature than other plastics.

I print a lot of ABS too, but that's mostly because I get it for $2/lb and extrude it myself. :D

Reactions: barretzhang

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016
Makergeeks is a terrible company. Avoid them. Unless you are ok w/ waiting a few months for your orders w/ zero communication.

Reactions: Patriot

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Makergeeks is a terrible company. Avoid them. Unless you are ok w/ waiting a few months for your orders w/ zero communication.

I've heard that sort of thing from a few people. Normal orders I have had decent luck with, but I tried the subscription service and they had trouble fulfilling it. I like the idea of supporting a US company with reasonable prices, but if they can't get it done someone else will. I never had trouble getting a response from them when I had an order that took too long etc.. I haven't ordered in a fair while, but that's because I have plenty of filament for the moment. Things could be better or worse these days and I wouldn't know.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Do not buy from makergeeks if you want to get your filament!
I have outstanding orders from them over a year old now... they will not reply to emails

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Friends don't let friends by from Makergeeks. /r/3dPrinting is full of bad posts and I'm one of them that they are a shoddy company that never has product in stock and hearing back from them is impossible.

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Friends don't let friends by from Makergeeks. /r/3dPrinting is full of bad posts and I'm one of them that they are a shoddy company that never has product in stock and hearing back from them is impossible.
I had liked the quality of the filament I have gotten from them... now they don't have the quality and have terrifyingly bad service.... I sent them a bill for the unsent goods after they stopped responding to emails... tempted to send it to collections.