Hoping for some help with setting up an ESXI with 2 VM's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

machmandp

Aug 23, 2021
Hi

I am very new to this but i wanted to lower my power usage by getting rid of my 3 original Devices and putting them into 1

I purchased an HPZ420 with a e5-2630 V2 (6 core + ht) and at the moment 16gb Ram
I also have 6 HDD 2 x 3TB and 3 x 1TB for storage (the last is a 256GB SSD for the OS)

I succesfully setup my 2 VM's 1st is an OPENWRT router which works great
the 2nd is a windows 7 VM which im using as a Media server

So far i have had to setup this twice as it keeps telling me that there is no disk space yet the disks in the VM are under half full

I have datastores in the VM
the error is the one vdmk runs out of space yet the VM reports 1.3TB free of 2.7TB , so Is my issue that i used the whole 2.7TB provisioned as a thick lazily zeroed disk and would i be better to delete that storage and then create a smaller disk (IE 2TB) and leave 700GB over on the VMFS Partition ?

I may be wrong but i think thats what i need to do but please if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be grateful

Thanks in Advance

machmandp

Aug 23, 2021
Ok, i figured it out

It was because of snapshots and i had them also backing up the hdd so it doubled the space taken up, i am now deleting all snapshots so i can then set the disks to Independant - persistant so the snapshot only snapshots the actual os

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
be aware these are not like ZFS snapshots. You do not want be be saving these around for long periods of time