Hoping for a low cost switch with strong backplane, 4x1Gb, 4x10Gb and decent LACP handling

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LinkAgg_Junkie

Aug 12, 2020
New member. Love the YouTube videos. Hoping this is a good place for me to ask this question:

I'm really in need of a lower cost 4x 1000BASE-T + 4x 10Gb (at least two SPF+) switch with decent backplane and good LACP handling.

I'm having trouble searching the web for a a lower cost switch, so I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in a direction.

I need to connect a storage server via 10Gb, and this switch will be uplinked to a Dell X1026P via 4x1Gb LACP. Trying to make sure a couple systems at the new edge switch end have 10Gb, as well as multiple systems at the Dell end with full Gigabit to said 10Gb server. Just one VLAN with one set of LACP.

I've had good experience doing something similar, between a Dell X1052 and the NetGear M4300-8X8F, at work, but that NetGear is well out of my price range. Hoping for something as cheap as possible.

My experience with cheap MikroTik hasn't been too great, so far, as I've not seen reliable speeds through my little CRS305. Only thing I like about it is that it can be powered over PoE. Maybe the more expensive ones work better?

Direct from 10Gb system to 10Gb system, I'm seeing 1GB/s minimum, sustained, but, through the MikroTik, I almost never see sustained speeds. Throughput dips down to 100MB/s and usually maxes out around 450MB/s. And trying to set up Active LAG on the Dell, Passive LAG on the Mikrotik (LAG is 1000BASE-T on the 'console' port with 1.25GBASE-T SFP, testing by rsync'ing a TarBall, over SSH), I don't see anywhere near simultaneous Gigabit speeds on the two systems connected to the Dell. Not even half what it should be, which makes me think no traffic is spilling over to the other connection, even though the MikroTik shows activity on both ports.

I'm looking at the Ubiquiti US-16-XG, but I'm unsure as I haven't had the best of experience with their UniFi Controller software, that I use with their APs. If that is the closest I can get, maybe I'll go that route.

I understand what I'm asking for might not exist. Rarely do the terms low-cost and strong-backplane go together.

I also understand "backplane" can often be tossed around as marketing BS, but normally a switch that contains a beefy backplane (switching capacity) also contains a strong onboard CPU, memory, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

turns2stone

Apr 12, 2020
I’m definitely a newbie in this area, but the Netgear M5300-28G3 seems to meet all your requirements save one: Only two 10GbE ports, although they can be 10GBase-T or SFP+.

I got mine on eBay for $200, there’s one left.

LinkAgg_Junkie

Aug 12, 2020
I’m definitely a newbie in this area, but the Netgear M5300-28G3 seems to meet all your requirements save one: Only two 10GbE ports, although they can be 10GBase-T or SFP+.

I got mine on eBay for $200, there’s one left.
Sadly, the hope for a minimum of four 10Gb connections is top priority for my setup. So, that won't work. But thank you.

I'm not sure what your budget is.

Would a Brocade ICX6610 fit the bill?

Wow, I've never even thought to look at Brocade. I've been using their fiber channel switches at work, for over a decade, just thought they'd always be out of my price range. That's amazing. Thank you!

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
BTW, if you "only" need 4x10Gbps, then you can probably look at ICX6450 too. It'll use less power and quieter. But prices may be higher due to demand.

LinkAgg_Junkie

Aug 12, 2020
BTW, if you "only" need 4x10Gbps, then you can probably look at ICX6450 too. It'll use less power and quieter. But prices may be higher due to demand.
Ooof... I just looked up the cost to get an ICX 10Gb license through Brocade. So I should definitely only go for the ones that already have that license installed. I'm a little worried I might get one that pulls the rug from under me, but I guess beggars can't be choosers, and I'd have to hope eBay and PayPal will help if one was falsely advertised...

Edit: Oh nevermind, just saw in that forum post you linked to, I can get a license unlock for free.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Qnap released a suite of 10gbe home networking switches, they might suit your needs.