Homelab VMware backup options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

turgin

May 16, 2016
I just about have my home network/lab infrastructure all in place so now turning my attention to how to backup everything before I start putting a ton of time into configuring all of the home services I have in mind like DVR, home automation and security, etc.

My lab consists of a 2 host VMware 6.5 HA cluster running on identical hardware (E5-2600) and third older gen host. The two primary hosts are running Starwinds VSAN and plans are for about 6 other (Sophos UTM, AD, DVR, etc) VMs each. The third host is running the witness nodes for vCenter HA and Starwinds along with a FreeNAS VM.

My high level plan is to use FreeNAS as the backup target for the main cluster and then back that up to a cloud provider. I am not set on using FreeNAS as my local backup target, but I do like the peace of mind ZFS gives in terms of reliability.

My question is what are the best options out there in the "free" category? I've done a bit of searching and researching and come up with the usual suspects: Veeam, Vembu, Unitrends, Altaro. So far, Veeam seems to be the best choice mainly due to not having VM limitations in the free version. GhettoVCB as well but since I am not using free ESXi I thought perhaps I could do better.

What is everyone else using in the no cost realm?

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I backup Veeam to a network share daily which is then replicated into an encrypted Google Drive for offsite backup. Been working flawlessly for a year. I personally wouldnt consider anything else right now and its 'free' via NFR licence for homelab use with you have VMUG membership.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
FreeNAS to FreeNAS ZFS automated/scheduled replication...then offsite to another ZFS box. Done :-D

That's just me though, to each his/her own!

EDIT: 'May' wanna check out RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines, they have a trial/POC version and I am actively doing some work w/ that product now at work...pretty damned slick and I am fairly hard to impress haha

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I also used Nakivo and Iperius , depending on use case . Got a NFR license for Nakivo, not sure about actual pricing and Iperius has a free version that covers basic needs (not sure atm whether VM Backup is in it but maybe not)

turgin

May 16, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions. I use an NFR licensed Starwind so will check out NFR on the backup solutions as well. I will definitely look at Nakivo. I've also been thinking the 1TB limit of Altaro might not be a problem since I just need it for the VMware stuff. I already have a plan for the basic file storage.

@whitey I would use FreeNAS for VM storage if it could do real-time replication/synch and failover like Starwind. I'm trying to achieve HA at home so I don't get tech support calls from my family when I travel for work. Especially since I'm trying to join the cable shaving ranks and DIY my DVR. My customers are not the most understanding. Sometimes I wonder if I am complicating things too much but then I think, nah! :)

Sadly I do not have the budget at home that I do at work.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Say, have you prolonged your Starwind NFR license yet?
I got one ages ago (never really used it though) and when I recently wanted to extend they declined and told me they'd only provide one once.
I wondered whether thats only me or if I got the wrong person on the other end;)

turgin

May 16, 2016
Say, have you prolonged your Starwind NFR license yet?
I got one ages ago (never really used it though) and when I recently wanted to extend they declined and told me they'd only provide one once.
I wondered whether thats only me or if I got the wrong person on the other end;)
I haven't tried yet. That would be very umm inconvenient if true.