Homelab Network Upgrades

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
Hi all,

I am planning on doing some homelab network upgrades. Part of this process will enable future expansion and possibly building an ESXI failover cluster at some point.

I'm looking for some general advise as I plan this process as there are several ways I can go with it.

Currently I have a setup which is as follows:

* Netgate SG-5100 with 4 port LACP to HP E3800 switch. This provides internet connectivity and IDS/IPS.

* The E3800 acts as my core/router and as such is the default gateway for all of the VLANs in my house. Has 4 10GBe ports.

* A single ESXI Host, Ryzen 7 1700, 64gb of ram, 1x 10gb connection for iSCSI and 2x 1GB for DVswitch for guest traffic. The single biggest problem I have right now is that all DNS in the house lives in this box, two instances of PiHole and two domain controllers. If I do not build an HA cluster, I will at least be looking to move those services two be distributed across two boxes.

* A FreeNAS host Ryzen 3600, 32 GB of ram, SSD pools for VMS, HDD pool for Plex. Single 10GBe port.

* A backup FreeNAS host with 2x1GBe, acts as a Backup of the Plex Dataset through ZFS Send/Receive and acts as a backup for VSphere via Veeam.

* My Workstation consumes a 10GBe port.

* 3 other layer 2 access/POE switches which have 2x1GBe LACP trunks back to the core.

Some of the problems I want to solve are the following:

* -I would like to create additional bandwidth and redundancy for my ESXI host via additional 10 gig links. I would like to have 2x SCSI uplinks and I would like to move the DVSwitch the hosts live on to 10gig.

* Similarly, I would like to give my production FreeNAS box a LAGG for redundancy purposes.

* I am terminating alot of layer 2 traffic on my core which is generally discouraged.

One potential solution is to purchase another HP E3800 (one with POE, as I have a second 8 port 10/100 POE switch in that closet, which has made me run that in conjunction with an injector to power my AP in that area of the house.) I could then stack them together.

That would leave me with 8 10GBe ports. 4 for ESXI, 2 for FreeNAS, 1 for my PC and 1 left over. I could then span those LAGGs (including the ones to my firewall and other switches) across two physically different switches which would give me added redundancy in case of a failure. But If I wanted to add additional hosts to my ESXI environment and create a cluster, I would not have enough ports to go around. I would have to purchase a third switch if I wanted to go down that route. The biggest problem with this is that the stacking cables and modules are selling for as much if not more than the switches themselves on ebay.

The second idea is to then purchase something like a Mikrotik CRS-317 to act as a distro switch. This would get 16 additional 10gb ethernet ports, and I could make a 2-port LACP trunk between it and purchase another HP switch that has gigabit to handle all of my wireless and gigabit layer 2 traffic. This doesn't have as much redundancy as above, but it also removes layer 2 traffic from my core.

I am leaning towards the second option.

Any thoughts or opinions?

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
My opition is : More hardware at home will not make you happier.
Think about yourself, why are you doing this, are you preparing for a next job? If that, maybe invest enough for a job, not for a lifestyle.

You know, maybe one full GNS3 diagram/project will do you more than spending time on ebay.
The hardware have weight, you want to carry on somthing that you may never ever need?
(I'm a big cloud oppositioner, btw. still)

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
I am the datacenter operations manager for a large school district. I don't really need to do it for learning.
I'm just a nerd. I'm not chasing happiness. I am seeking the ability to have fun foolin around while maintaining the WAF (wife acceptance factor).
"Internet" goes down = bad. Redundancy = reliability = WAF :)

I actually enjoy doing this stuff at home as well, whereas at work I am constantly putting out fires and fighting political battles (and COVID-19 related fun). It's nice to just build out a system and do it..."the right way". I get a sense of pride and accomplishment for myself. It's also nice that, if I break things, its okay, its just my house. I guess I could get some of that by using GNS3, but like, why? I open my closet or look at my network monitoring tools, see how well things are going (or not) and I get a sense of "rightness" in the world. I don't know that I would get that from just doing it all in a software emulator.

Also for the record, it's not even about being against the cloud. I have an active M365 sub lol

Last edited:

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
There's no better delight for a nerd to map his own prodt net in GNS3/eveng.
And so useful for any prod changes.